Timbo

Default Artist and Musicians

Hi there
    two of my ancestors (they are brothers) are described on the 1901 Census as an "Artist" and a "Musician". Does anyone have any idea where I might find out more about them through their professions?
    Any advice welcome
    best
    Tim

uksearch

It may help your cause if you gave the Census reference details or quoted the return in full. Any other details may also possibly help.

UK

Timbo

thanks for the reply
    the information I have is from the 1901 Census for Camberwell, Surrey. Robert John Stother Heaking is marked as an Artist. On a previous census (1881) he was shown as a Designer (Artzn). His younger brother was shown on the 1901 Census as a Musician.
    My grandfather, who was their nephew, many years ago told me of an uncle of his who played the violin for the philharmonic .....but that is all the info I have.....and to be quite frank, he was prone to exaggeration.

george h

Default artists and musicians

hi there,
    i had the same problem when i found a great uncle of mine was down as an artist in the 1901 census and his brother was a musician,
    with the artist i was lucky in that when i googled his name i discovered that he was an established artist and his works are still being sold in auctions today so i was able to get some good info on him which led me to the local art college where i was able to expand on what i had already found, so i would recommend if his name does not come up on google or the like that you try the local art schools or colleges,
    with the musician i had to try the local music academies and go through the records in the hope of finding him, it took me over six months but i was lucky enough to find him and found lots of interesting stuff about him
    but i have to say that this was only possible because i live in the same place as he did, i think if that to do this kind of research from a distance would be a tad difficult,