Thread: Dent

zilkens

Default Dent

Can you tell me please, does Dent come under Yorkshire West Riding as far as this forum go ?

Mythology

Yes, that would indeed be the logical place to put a query relating to Dent. I doubt if any outraged Yorkshire person would actually bite your head off if you put it somewhere else, but we do tend to stick to the "real" counties, not later bureaucratic inventions.

It was "Cumbria" last time I looked, but they may well have changed that too by now, for all I know, made it into some new "unitary authority" or whatever - as we're dealing with history, most of us don't take much notice of these modern things, so (as you've probably noticed) there isn't a "Cumbria" forum, only a "Cumberland" one which, of course, is not the same thing at all!

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythology View Post
    I doubt if any outraged Yorkshire person would actually bite your head off if you put it somewhere else, but we do tend to stick to the "real" counties, not later bureaucratic inventions.
    For example: I do not live in South Yorkshire, as there's no such place, seeing as there was no South Riding!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

legallass

Hi if you're still interested in Dent - it is still Cumbria. I'm new to forum but have a lot of info about Dent as father's mother's side are from there. I have a Nelson line back to mid 1600's. Many names crop up through the generations, as it was only a small place.

If you're still interested let me know & maybe we can compare notes. My main ones for Dent, as well as Nelson I have Fawcett & Greenwood!

zilkens

Default Dent

Hi,
    I'm always interested in anything to do with Dent, but I have to tell you that I now live only a few miles away from Dent and it isn't in Cumbria and never has been. It is in the West Riding of Yorkshire, but it does come under the South Lakes district council.
    My name is Ken Staveley and I was born in Preston, Lancashire, but my father was born in Dent and the Staveley's go a long way back there.
    I see that you have Greenwoods in your family. I have a Nancy Staveley born in 1820 who married a Joseph Greenwood on 17 September 1836.
    If you would like to get in touch my email address is -
    [email protected]"]ken.staveley (at) sky.com
    regards, Ken.
    Last edited by Geoffers; 25-02-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: removal of direct link to e-mail address - the continuing battle against spammers

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Quote Originally Posted by legallass View Post
    My main ones for Dent, as well as Nelson I have Fawcett & Greenwood!
    Oh what a shame ....... my FAWCETT's are from Birstall and Heckmondwike, (near Huddersfield) ....... I thought I'd found a new cousin!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

legallass

Hi Ken -Do you know if your Joseph was son of Fawcett Greenwood of Rash Mill Dent. If so we have a match. My father's grandmother was Jane b 1850. Also have a Mary Staveley b c 1796 married to John Nelson 1786 -1843. My father's mother's line.

I ws brought up in Sedbergh, it was Yorkshire in those days! I believe there are still Staveleys there now.

We live in kendal now so probably not that far from you.