Northolt John

Smile Any descendents of Bryant out there !

I am researching the ancestry of the Bryant family, formerly known as Briant at the turn of the 19th century, they mostly hale from Sedlescombe / Ewhurst / Ninfield / Barcombe / Yapton areas of Sussex, some information on births, deaths and marriages would be greatly appreciated, also information on Playfords as they appear to be closely related to the Bryants around the mid-1800's.

many thanks,
    John from Northolt
    Last edited by Northolt John; 23-08-2007 at 10:06 PM.

ead2149

Default bryant ancestry

hi northolt John,.
    I am a new member of BG, my husband found it first and has joined me - I'm a computer novice, my interest only starting with my genealogy research.
    My maiden name was Bryant.
    My father Peter Bryant was born in Devizes in Wiltshire and my grandfather William James married Elizabeth Hale born in West Lavington in 1908 , and his father Alfred Bryant was born in Potterne just outside Devizes and married Catherine Perrett from Market Lavington about 1879. Alfred also had a son Henry who was born just before the 1881 census. The 1901 census also shows siblings of Henry and William as Edith Arthur and Florence.
    My father had several sisters but only one brother William and the name was carried on through his 2 sons, still living and there are still Bryant's in Devizes.
    I haven't gone too far back after Alfred with any confirmation but there were a lot of Bryants in the Calne area of Wiltshire on the censuses which may be a lead.
    I did read somewhere that the name may have originally come over from Ireland as O'Brian but I remain open on this.
    Hope if this doesn't help your research it may be of interest.

genehunting

Hello, I do have Bryant ancestors from Fairlight, Sussex. My 2nd great grandmother was Mary Ann Bryant:
    Her parents :William Bryant (1775-) and Sarah Wepham
    Life Range: 1802 - 16 January 1873
    1802 Birth: Fairlight East Sussex England.
    1802 November 21 Baptism: Fairlight Sussex England.
    1826 June 11 Marriage: Hollington East Sussex. Samuel Smith (1806-1876). in Hollington East Sussex.
    Mary Anns Siblings were: Charlotte, Sarah 1805 - 1871, William 1807, Eliza 1809 Married Henry Harrod. searching for other family members.
    Winnifred

davidbanks

Default Bryant cousins

Hi

My connections to the Bryant family are through Elizabeth BANKS who married Benjamin BRYANT in 1843 and they were in Ditchling in 1881.

Also William BRYANT married Eleanor BANKS in 1857 and he was the innkeeper of the Hare & Hounds in Framfield.

Modern day descendants would be my 6th cousins.

David Banks

Neville Thomas

Default BRYANT of Sedlescombe, Sussex

I have details of 34 BRYANTs born Sedlescombe, and dozen born elsewhere in Sussex.
    They intermarried with HAYLER & STAPLEY.
    Neville

Colin Rowledge

My o0ne and only link to the BRYANT name is through the marriage of Maria Piper Beaglehole [my great-grand Aunt] who married Richard Bryant on 1 July 1865 in Germoe, Cornwall. Richard was born in Breage, Cornwall and died in 1910

If these 2 names 'ring any bells' with members, I'll be pleased to share information

Colin