Thread: Owen Kelly

Question Owen Kelly

Hi there can anyone help? I am looking for info on Owen Kelly born about 1840? in Co Cavan a place called Annagh and I am trying to decide if this is the right person. He joined the 101st cavan Reg in 1857 then joined the 10th Regt of foot no 208 in 1857 and served in many places he was discharged in 1882.I have received lots of help about this guy, but am struggling to get any new info about him.
    He married Ann Mcguire from Irut 1840? in Co Cavan a place called Annagh and I am trying to decide if this is the right person. He joined the 101st cavan Reg in 1857 then joined the 10th Regt of foot no 208 in 1857 and served in many places he was discharged in 1882.I have received lots of help about this guy, but am struggling to get any new info about him.
    He married Ann Mcguire from Ireland! somewhere but cannot find a cert for this. After discharge from army he returned to Ireland but was back iving in Lincoln Lincolnshire permanently by 1885. I do have a death cert he died in 1897. I have a pension no for him which is 94793, however I have been told the numbers do not go this far at TNA, apparently his wife was called Catherine in the Record, not sure about this as she was most definately Ann. I know it can be difficult tracing Irish ancestors esp with the name Kelly. Help/advice on where to go next very gratefully received.
    pejay

phil9560

ive a suspicion this owen kelly may be my great great grandfather.i dont have any relevant info to trade but i'd be grateful to share your knowledge.thanks.phil.

Default Owen Kelly

Hi there Phil and thanks for your reply. I have been struggling for ages with this one! I think he was born in Co Cavan either Annagh or Redhill, not sure which, about 1840, He married an Ann Mcguire again not sure where or when -think it may have been about 1873.. He was in the 10th Foot which later became the Lincolnshire regt. I did get some info on him under the military section of this forum. you may have to go back a few pages though, I was asking about his service no, he died in 1897, in Lincoln where the family settled. Mary their youngest daughter born about 1883 was my grandmother she was born in Ireland somewhere -family seem to think possibly Waterford, but again I don't know I have not got a birth cert for her, but she had other siblings, Arthur the youngest, - I think he moved to Manchester, Maggie, Owen, John James, Patrick And Kate. hope this all helps, please let me know
    pejay

Smile Owen Kelly

The info is under military general and is headed "can anyone help with service no"? I do have an idea of who some of the Kelly siblings married, if you are interested.MY grandmother married a William Parkinson in 1911 , I would like to know more about this family, but with names like Kelly and Mcguire it is not going to be easy!!
    pejay

phil9560

well as far as i can gather - owens son john married phoebe rose hannah myers in 1900 .witnesses were patrick and catherine kelly.they had 2 sons at least jack and owen.and a daughter gladys rose who was my grandmother.somehow the family came to bury in lancashire.there gladys married edwin moreton in 1932.gladys and edwin had 2 sons thomas and edwin.thomas was my father.incidentally they became lapsed catholics.i remember my grandmother never had much time for catholics and we were brought up church of england.kelly and mcguire must be the genealogical equivalent of a needle in a haystack.working class irish catholic records are bound to be sketchy as well.but thanks for sharing what you know.phil

phil9560

and yes i would be interested in who the kelly siblings married.thanks again.phil.

Default Owen Kelly

Hi there Phil, thanks for your reply here is what I have -Owen Kelly d 16.12.1897, his wife Ann died 3.10.1919 both are buried in Lincoln, I have not yet been able to go further back but someday.... Catherine (kate)b Kent 1874 m 1907 George Wm Dean.
    John b1875 Aldershot i also have the Phoebe Myers as marrying in 1900.and her parents as James and Mary Anne nee Holmes.
    James b 1876 unmarried I think he may have died in 1900 in Lincoln but not sure yet.
    Patrick unmarried - no death date yet. Owen b 15/2/1880 m Celia Mcevoy in 1906 Margaret (Maggie ) b 1881 m 1903 not sure to who though. Mary b 1883 somewhere in Ireland m William Parkinson 7.10.1911 d 28.12.1934 and Arthur b1885 in Lincoln, think he moved to Bury or Manchesteer don't know much about him though. Hope this info is some use if to you.
    pejay

phil9560

thats wonderful information-thank you very much.it goes a little way to explaining the bury connection.

Default Owen Kelly

Hi there, pleased you found the info useful, if you find out anything more about the Kellys I would love to know.
    pejay