cateyanne

Default William Peters family

Peters family of Leicestershire. GR gr gr grandmother Ann Peters Tebbutt born approximately 1826/1827 at Thorpe Acre. Father is William Peters, was a framework knitter in Leicestershire. That is all the information I have on her family. She married Samuel Tebbutt on February 19, 1849 at Rothley in Leicestershire. She had her first child, Ralph Smalley Tebbutt in Mount Sorrel on May 14 1849. She immigrated to the U.S. approximately 1854. Trying to locate her family, possibly in the 1841 census, before her marriage to Samuel. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

janbooth

Default William PETERS

I have found this family in the 1841 census of St Margaret, Leicester but no Ann with them:

HO107/604/16, folio 14, pages 19/20
    Lower Sandover? St

William PETERS 40 Framework K
    Mary do 30
    Edward do 14
    Eliza do 7
    Alfred do 5
    Emma do 2 Born in county yes

All members of the family except Emma have a dash in the Born in county column so am unable to help you there. I can't find Ann in the 1841.

I also have failed to trace this family with any certainty in the 1851 census. It looks as though Alfred may have died - there is a death registration at Leicester in 1846. There is an Eliza PETERS aged 17 born St Margarets lodging at 109 Bedford Street with an Elizabeth BOULT who could be the correct Eliza (HO107/2089, folio 106, page 16). There is also an Edward PETERS married to a Phoebe who is lodging in Crich, Derbyshire with a William BLOUNT (HO107/2145, folio 208, page 22) who could be the Edward in the 1841. There is also a death registration for a Mary PETERS in 1849 at Leicester. However, I can't find either William or Emma in the 1851.

Sorry not to have been of more help.

Janet

cateyanne

Thank you for trying Janet,
    I do appreciate the help. You can probably see why I am having difficulty finding Ann's family. I really had no information to start with other than her last name on a death certificate. When I obtained her marriage record I thought, wonderful! now I have a father' name. One census did state she was born in Thorpe Acre, but that is all. I have never known what any of her family members names were, so I cannot say whether or not the William you found in the 1841 is her family. I suppose she is probably the eldest child, at least if these siblings are any indication. And it could be possible that she is in 1841 living with some other relatives. I do not know her family financial situation but I suppose it is possible that she is in the employ of another family, as young as she is at this time, and living with them. Do you know if Thorpe Acre is a town or a parish? Is it possible to obtain a parish record of her, do you think? Since she was born in Leicestershire and married someone from there and got married there and lived there until she immigrated to the U.S. I would think she stayed pretty close by, but of course these are all suppositions! I will of course keep trying, I thank you again for all your help!
    Cathy

cateyanne

Lightbulb

I did uncover another tidbit of information. It is possible that Ann's full name was Mary Ann. She went by Ann most all of the time. So she could be in the records as Mary Ann Peters or just Mary Peters, especially in early records. Possibly because her mother went by Mary and it was less confusing? She did end up naming her first daughter Mary Anna as well.

revdfg

Default (Mary) Ann Peters

I have read this link with interest as I am a descendant of a Leicestershire Tebbutt and so have been studying the Tebbutt tree.

Samuel Tebbutt 1829 Barrow on Soar (about 3 miles from Loughborough and about 4 miles from Thorpe Acre) married Ann Peters 1827 Thorpe Acre.

You have the marriage certificate with a marriage at Rothley 19 Feb 1849 which would make Samuel about 20 and Ann about 21 or 22. (Rothley is about 2 miles from Barrow on Soar so its all pretty local). You say the marriage certificate gives her father as William Peters. I suspect that Janet Booth has found the right family in 1841 census - which suggests that Ann was not at home. Her age would have been about 14 which was old enough in those days to "go into service".

Then your last "tidbit" of information gave a good clue - that her full name was Mary Ann Peters. Now there is a Mary Ann Peters in the 1841 census:

Anne Borworth 30
    Jane Bosworth 35
    Elizabeth Eaton 35
    Maria Eden 35
    Mary Ann Peters 20
    Elizabeth Pratt 25
    Ann Sault 20
    Elizabeth Shall 20

They seem to be in service at a house called "Whatton House" in the village of Long Whatton (about three miles from Thorpe Acre). At first sight the age stated as 20 seems too high - but that need not be a worry as the census enumerators were asked to give ages to the nearest 5 - so maybe she claimed to be say 16 (perhaps to make herself eligible for the position!) and this was rounded up to 20.

So, looking at all the facts, we have a Mary Ann not living with her family but in service, just a few miles from where she was born.

I will be happy to explore this further with you but I wonder if you could scan and email a copy of the marriage certificate - as it gives some Tebbutt information.

Do you have a website or data online? If so I would appreciate the link - or alternatively a list of the known descendants of Samuel and (Mary) Ann