Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DAVID LYON

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    Searching TNA's catalogue https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...ue/default.asp
    suggests that 'Hasdrubal' was RNSQ at Bizerte, Tunis in 1944

Geoffers
    Thanks for that Geoffers, but excuse my ignorance, what does RNSQ stand for?

David

DAVID LYON

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    Searching TNA's catalogue https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...ue/default.asp
    suggests that 'Hasdrubal' was RNSQ at Bizerte, Tunis in 1944

Geoffers
    Thanks for that Geoffers, excuse my ignorance, but what does RNSQ stand for?

David

smorse

Hi David,
    RNSQ stands for Royal Naval Sick Quarters.
    Thanks for the information Geoffers.

Grandfather was definately in Bizerte, although he was at HMS Byrsa when he was badly burnt.

At least one Officer in the photo is a senior Navy Medic, so the RNSQ could have been part of the unit(s) shore base.

The Royal Marines history also has the following listing:
    Hamilcar Landing Craft Base, Algiers, WW II; Hasdrubal Base, Algiers, 1943 to 1946.
    www.
    royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/RM%20Unit%20Histories%201919-1997.doc

"We proceeded to Algiers where we disembarked for a few days which we spent in a girls convent, requisitioned by the Navy and renamed HMS Hamilcar"

Hamilcar and Hasdrubal are Carthaginian commanders and Byrsa a city in Carthage.

I am thinking that the unit WAS (or a significant part of) HMS Hasdrubal and HMS Byrsa and that they were originally part of the shore base in HMS Nile in Alexandria, then at Tripoli, Mersa Matruh and Bengahazi. (he occasionally joked that his crew won the Benghazi stakes, which used to wind up his old NZ Army commrades)

I have a copy of Janes All the World Fighting Ships (1944 edition) inscribed Lt-Cmr E.R. Morse (E) HMS Resource, which was the fleet repair ship in the Mediterranean, so I suspect these guys worked from a base and were sent to "jobs" around the Med as required. He told me they also salvaged and temporary repaired ships to get them back to dockyards.

I will keep researching the subject and keep you informed, as I believe that this is a significant story that needs to be told before all of the knowledge disappears.
    Regards Stephen

DAVID LYON

Default HMS NILE -Special Services?

Thanks for all the info Stephen, I wonder if you or anyone else can throw any light on somethings that are puzzling me.

Firstly, on the service record it has in brackets next to the rank of 'Stoker' the letters; FF - any ideas?

Secondly, the list of postings read as follows; But ALL seem to be shore establishments? If there had been service on a ship - would it be shown. He did mention being onboard a ship, and being torpedoed??

In chronological order;-

HMS DRAKE
    HMS VICTORY
    HMS FLORA (8months!)
    HMS DRAKE
    HMS NILE (HMS SPHINX)
    HMS NILE - Special Services
    HMS HASDRUBAL (Tripoli)
    HMS BYRSA
    HMS DRAKE - Demob.

DAVID LYON

Thanks for that Geoffers. I wonder if you've read the last reply to SMORSE on 27/8, and whether you could answer my questions?

Regards, David

smorse

Hi David,
    HMS Flora was another shore establishment.
    HMS FLORA - Invergordon (outstation at Aultbea), Rosyth Command.
    The FF stands for Fire Fighter. (very important to the job they did, as most of the ports etc were on fire)
    The date or name of the ship torpedoed would be very useful to know if you can find out.
    I may have the flag from this ship.
    Regards Stephen

DAVID LYON

Default HMS NILE - Special Services.

Hi Stephen, thanks for all the help so far - hows your research going?

I have several bits and bobs from a box of keep-sakes belonging to my grandfather - I dont know whether they have any interest to you, or would help you in your quest?

I have; Xmas Menu (1943) titled; ROYAL NAVY BASE, TRIPOLI (L) Printed.
    Xmas Menu (1944) - homemade - marked; GROUP VIII, 557 B.O.D
    POZZUOLI
    Farewell Dinner Menu (date unknown) 201 REST & LEAVE CAMP.

All of which are signed by colleagues, the Tripoli one has approx 20 names on it - some with ERA after their names??

If these are of any interest - please Email me at [email protected] and I will send you the scans of all I have.

Regards, David

smorse

Hi David,
    Have a look at this from the BBC on 557 B.O.D.
    www.
    bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/96/a7231196.shtml

The B.O.D. stands for Base Ordinance Depot.
    The ERA after the names at the Royal Navy Base stands for Engine Room Artificer.

I have not had a reply from the RN Museum yet.

I will email you directly, as I would like to see the items you have.

Regards Stephen

ouzman

Default HMS Sphinx

I am researching my father in laws royal Naval Record CPO Peter Kane 27 years RN from 1933 to 1945 and second bout 1947 to 1962.
    On his record I came across three entree NILE (looks like canopres) 6/12/44 - 5/12/44
    NILE (Spl Seres) 6/12/44 - 30/7/45
    NILE (Spinx) 1/8/45 - 12/8/45
    I do know that Peter took a bullet in the back which remained there for the rest of his life, although he rarely spoke of his service days I do know that he was prisoner of for short time and escaped his buddy was shot through the head I thought it may have been Greece there is no reference to this on his record Peter died at age 64 at Toowoomba Qld in 1974 buried at Toowoomba & Drayton Lawn Cemetery

EDWINBELL

Default Ed Bell

Hi David, I have no direct information on your grandfather but thought this might add to the general info on HMS Nile & Sphinx. My father Capt. Arnold Bell RM was stationed at HMS Nile between May and Novemeber 1944. In October he took a detachment of Royal Marines to the Greek port of Piraeus to keep law and order in the interim period between the German's withdrawl and the establishment of civil law.The following is a quote from an ex Marine who lived in New Zealand and was a memeber of the detachment. "This party had the exciting designation of 'Haddock' and consisted of two sergeants, four corporals and 46 marines who gathered at Sphinx. Training was commmennced on commando principle with emphasis on -riots and street fighting etc."

The detachment landed on Greek soil on October 12 and reemained until the beginning of Novemeber when they were ordered to board HMS Easton and harass the Germans remaining on the island of Milos. An attack on a radar unit sited on Mount Topakas, on the South West corner of Milos was planned and executed on the night of Novemeber 13/14 during which my father and three Royal Marines were killed. The Radar unit ceased to operate from that date, two German prisoners were taken and a number of Greek teenagers who wished to fight for the Allies were taken on board Easton.

I have visited Milos on several occassions and in June 2000 I sited a memorial to the Marines on the actual radar site which overlooks the Mediteranian.

Regards Ed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast