Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Question Kelly's Directory

Does anyone have a copy of Kelly's Directory (or something similar)?

We are looking for a Stone Mason/Marble Merchant's business in the City of London at a place called Crutched Friars c.1900-1914.

We are unsure whether Walter Hungerford was the owner/partner of the business or an employee.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Lindad,

Have you tried the historical directories site?

Pam Downes

I hadn't... but I have now - but I can't seem to find anything in the City of London. It all seems to relate to the suburbs.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad
    I
    Am I looking in the wrong place?
    Possibly.
    There's suburbs, London, street, trades, vol 1, part 6, Kellys, and goodness knows what else to wade through to try to get the right one.
    I managed to get the Post Office London 1915 part 2 street directory and found at Roman Wall House, 1 Crutchedfriars, the Vallongo Slate and Marble Quarries Co Ltd. It was either a big building or had little rooms because there were also another 12 businesses listed there. The company was also there in 1910. No mention of Walter.
    I couldn't see any other stone/marble businesses listed in the street.
    Crutched Friars is still there today, near Fenchurch Street station. See streetmap
    and select London street.

Pam Downes

Ken Boyce

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad
    Does anyone have a copy of Kelly's Directory (or something similar)?

We are looking for a Stone Mason/Marble Merchant's business in the City of London at a place called Crutched Friars c.1900-1914.

We are unsure whether Walter Hungerford was the owner/partner of the business or an employee.
    If Walter was an employee it is most unlikely that he will appear in any Directory. One tip is to check the original image of the 1901 census to see if he was employed Also the trading name of the business may be different or if in a partnership these are listed by the leading name and so Hungerford could be missed when browsing

I checked the 1902 PO Street Directory There is no Marble Merchants identified there is a builders at #13 no sign of Walter anywhere

I then checked the Trade and the Commercial Directories for Stone Masons (who were often self employed) and for Marble Merchants No Hungerfords

Crutched Friars is in RG13/267 Folio 109 & 110 I browsed the street and found no sign of Walter or of any Marble Merchants or Stone Masons

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    I managed to get the Post Office London 1915 part 2 street directory and found at Roman Wall House, 1 Crutchedfriars, the Vallongo Slate and Marble Quarries Co Ltd. It was either a big building or had little rooms because there were also another 12 businesses listed there. The company was also there in 1910. No mention of Walter.

Pam Downes
    Thanks Pam! That's really helpful! We'll look into this... it certainly sounds as though this could be the company we're looking for.

Smile Thanks!

Thanks also, Ken. Really appreciate your efforts.

Hi Lindad,

Thought I recognised this name when I saw it on the 'Family Tree' section of Channel 4 tonight.

"We are looking for any information about our relative Walter Hastings Cavour Hungerford, born Cork 1876, died London 1945.
    We would like to make contact with other relatives."
    Any connection with yours?

Pam Downes
    p.s. I've just checked the message you posted about Mary Broadbent, so now know that he is yours. Also have a feeling it was you who posted the message on C4. If so, send me an e-mail and I will delete this message
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 27-02-2005 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Now-unwanted email addy deleted

Smile Thanks!

Pam, thanks for keeping an eye open on our behalf. I didn't post the Channel 4 message... but my cousin did!

Thus far, no response from any family members - but two responses from eagle-eyed fellow genealogists who have read our endless message posts!!