Thread: John GOODWIN

Ron61

Default John GOODWIN

I am desperately seeking information on John GOODWIN who married Sarah BULL on 09 June 1817 in Little Paxton. He is my great great great grandfather and as he died before the 1841 census I know precious little about him. I do know that he was a cordwainer, and from the birth dates of his children [all apparently born in Great Paxton] he died sometime between 1826 and the 1841 census. I have no idea of where he was born, but I suspect somewhere in Huntingdonshire. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Sarah was born in St. Neots about 1791. Thanks.
    Ron Goodwin, Chorley, Lancs.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ron61
    John GOODWIN who married Sarah BULL on 09 June 1817 in Little Paxton
    What does the actual parish register have to say about the marriage (particularly the groom's home parish)?

Reputation beyond repute

By the way, am I missing something? This is in the Bedfordshire section but I can't make out what the Bedfordshire connection is supposed to be.

Ron61

Hi Peter, nothing on the parish register apart from who and when. Apparantly St. Neots is now in Bedfordshire but was in Huntingdonshire. I have tried for several years on the Huntingdonshire forum but have had no luck. Anyway thanks for at least replying.
    Regards Ron

Reputation beyond repute

nothing on the parish register apart from who and when
    That sounds a bit sparse for 1817. What form of register were they using? Normally one would expect to see marital status, home parishes, banns/licence, witnesses etc etc? You are talking about the actual parish register, aren't you?

Apparantly St. Neots is now in Bedfordshire
    Cambridgeshire, surely.

Ron61

The information was gleaned from the Huntingdonshire FHS microfiche labelled "Compiled from the original registers and supplemented by bishop's transcripts".

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know what that is. Some sort of index presumably.

If you don't want to go the Record Office, I would have thought they could provide a copy of the relevant record.

Ron61

Thankyou Peter, perhaps I do have the wrong forum.

Reputation beyond repute

Whichever forum is appropriate, the answer is most probably going to be in the parish registers. It appears that Great and Little Paxton have both been filmed and can be ordered through the Mormons.