Ann Dee

Default Collyhurst Parish Church

Please could anyone tell me the full name of Collyhurst Parish Church, where it was, or if it is still there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ann

Ann Dee

Sorry, this message should be under 'Manchester'. Don't know how to put it right. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to help.
    Ann

utilisada

Hi Ann,

You HAVE put this message under Manchester !!

As far a the church is concerned - I believe it would have been St James's but I am afraid I know nothing more about it.

Dea x

marj

Hi Ann

Utilisada is correct it is St.James Church, Teignmouth Street, Collyhurst the North of Manchester, unfortunatley it is no longer there being demolished for new houses. if you go to this site
    https://www.images.manchester.gov.uk
    There are a few pictures of the church.

My Parents & Grandparents were married there , I myself was confirmed there, and used to walk in the Whitweek processions on Whit Monday, happy days.

Regards Marj

uksearch

Marj and Utilisada may have given you the correct answer. It really depends on what part of Collyhurst and what time you are thinking of. If you are referring to 1871 or after then St James's is the correct answer. Before 1850 it was within the boundaries of the Parish of Manchester and serviced by other churches in the Parish such as St Michael's ,Angel Meadow (built 1789), St George's, Oldham Rd (1818),St Thomas's (1844).It was also serviced bt St Catherine's, St Oswald's and the Albert Memorial Church at various times up to 1871.

UK
    Last edited by uksearch; 21-05-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Ann Dee

Thank you all very much for the information about Collyhurst Parish Church. The marriage took place before 1870.

Best wishes.

Ann

keren

Does anyone know where the parish registers would be for this church? I know that my Gr grandfather William Barton was married there in 1901, and was hopefull that I might find records of either other Barton members or some of the Clarke family details, as info is pretty scarce on this side of the family.

Cheers
    Keren

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Microfilms of the registers for the Collyhurst churches are at Manchester Central Library; a full list of the registers they hold are to be found here:
    https://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/sc...4&pageNumber=3

keren

Smile

Thank you.