Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Lurch Addams

Quote Originally Posted by ADM 199 View Post
    Sorry,
    the term S.W.B. is the abbreviation for South Wales Borderers.

Brian
    Ah....

I am guessing,as you have met 6 of the survivors,you would know the names of all 27?

Did any of them have any connections with

Somerset (gt Uncle born,lived there)

Wareham,Dorset. (was living there when joined up)

The TA

32ND Tank Bde

54th training reg. Perham Down

I'm intrigued now.

djb2410

Hi - I have a similar anomaly with some research I am doing. An Alfred Edward Orton is listed on the Army Roll of Honour as having died on October 26 1942. However, on the Commomwealth Graves site he is listed as having died on November 14 1942, and is commemorated on the El Alamein Memorial. His nephew, with whom I am co-operating, says there was a family legend that he had been taken prisoner and was being transported when the ship was sunk by a British submarine and he was lost. Does anybody have a listing of those who were lost when the SS Scillin was sunk, or know where I can find such a list ?
    Regards
    David J Brown

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by djb2410 View Post
    Hi - I have a similar anomaly with some research I am doing. An Alfred Edward Orton is listed on the Army Roll of Honour as having died on October 26 1942. However, on the Commomwealth Graves site he is listed as having died on November 14 1942, and is commemorated on the El Alamein Memorial. His nephew, with whom I am co-operating, says there was a family legend that he had been taken prisoner and was being transported when the ship was sunk by a British submarine and he was lost. Does anybody have a listing of those who were lost when the SS Scillin was sunk, or know where I can find such a list ?
    Regards
    David J Brown
    Hi David,

This site may be of interest to you - you will need to scroll down the page

ww2talk.com/forum/prisoners-war/5568-british-pow-losses-italian-ship-ariosto-2.html (put https://www. at the front)

ADM 199

Default Casualty List for the Scillin

Quote Originally Posted by djb2410 View Post
    Regards
    David J Brown
    Hello David,
    there has been no casualty list produced by either the M.O.D. or the Italians.
    The 26th of october originally given was the date he left Benghazi by road to a camp in Tripoli. Before the records were corrected his D.O.D. was given as 26/10/42 - 14/11/42. The problem came when the 1009 P.O.W. who left Benghazi towards the end of October were taken to board the ship on the 13th November.
    Boarding was stopped when 814 were on the ship which was grossly overloaded as she was only 1595 Tons. The other 195 were taken further down the Quay where two other ships were unloading. These prisoners boarded in the early hours of the 14th, about 15 or so hours after the Scillin had sailed.
    There were 27 P.O.W. survivors from the Scillin who were picked up by the Submarine and taken to Malta.

In late 1944 a list of men who left Benghazi on the dates stated was given to the M.O.D. From this the names of survivors and those who were later Registered as P.O.W. it Italy by the Red Cross were deducted from that list. The Balance were then presumed to have died at Sea. Including my Father.

My Records show Gnr A.E.Orton 1100197 67th Medium Regiment R.A. did die on the S.S.Scillin.

A few years ago I passed on a List of men from the Regiment who had died on the Ship to two Ladies who were looking into the Regiments WW2 Casualties. This together with War Diaries was put on display in the Ipswich Library where I believe all the research is now kept.

Brian

djb2410

Brian - Many thanks for that

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Evening All,
    I have just come across this website; very fascinating! I have just started researching 14 General Transport Company and realised 13 soldiers died on the same date; they were all on SS Scillin when it was sunk. I am trying to track down any relatives who may have the Service Records or indeed photographs of those 14 GT Company soldiers.
    The reason I ask, is that I have just finished commanding the present day 14 GT Company now known as 14 Squadron, Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC) Support Battalion. I am now its Battalion Second-in-Command. I intend to make a small publication for the Unit covering their actions during WW2. This is just the start of the research with plans to visit the NA to obtain copies of the War Diary and then to the RLC Museum for further research.
    Grateful for any assistance in this project.
    Regards
    James

A fountain of knowledge

Thats really interesting Bruneval and I hope you get some replies, the thread you've come into though is over 7 years old so it may be unlikely, but fingers crossed!

Dolly

My father was in the Royal Artillery. I can give you his details, but it may not be what you want

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by timbo58 View Post
    Thats really interesting Bruneval and I hope you get some replies, the thread you've come into though is over 7 years old so it may be unlikely, but fingers crossed!
    Thanks timbo. I have also posted on some other sites - WW2 Talk. Hopefully, I will get some replies too.

James.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Dolly. That's very kind but I want to focus on 14 GT Company, although the RA is close to my heart. My father was 7 PARA RHA and my grand father served in WW2 as a Gunner (2nd Maritime Regiment) being one unit.

James

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234