Thread: Pearson Puzzle

sadielou_b_lou

Unhappy Pearson Puzzle

Is anybody able to help or make suggestions.

I am stuggling to find information that makes any sense.

My gg grandma is an Emma or Emily Pearson. The information I have so far is that she was born abt 1861 in East Farleigh, Kent. I also have that she is buried in Manor Park Cemetery (London/Essex).

The details that I am finding are leaving me puzzled. I have found 2 births that either or none could be her:
    Emma Elizabeth Pearson b. 1861 - North Aylesford Maidstone 2a 314
    or
    Emily Clara Pearson b. 1861 - Maidstone 2a 461 Mar

I cannot find her marriage with John Clarke who was born in Norwich abt 1851, but I can locate them on the 1891 & 1901 census living in Chigwell Essex, their children were: Emma, Kate, Albert, Sydney, Nellie, Arthur, Eliza, Maud & a John b. 1901 (my g grandfather).
    On both censuses she is an Emma & aged 30 & 41 born on both at East Farleigh.

I have searched the 1871 & found a likely, the name this time Emily aged 10 (ties in), her father George widowed. I think I have then found him on the 1881 remarried to a Sophia. Cannot find Emma/Emily on the 1881.

I cannot find Emma or Emily at all. I'm wondering if she married someone else before John & had a different surname which is why I cannot find a marriage.

I hope that this information isn't too confusing I have tried to detail it in the hope that somebody can help.

Here's hoping, many thanks - Sadie

Phil

Default Emma Elizabeth Pearson

I have found Emma Elizabeth Pearson on BMD getting Marriage 1890 Sept - Maidstone, Kent.

This may help in taking her out of the picture. When was Emma daughter of Emily/Emma & John Clarke born?

Regards

Phil

sadielou_b_lou

Default Pearson Puzzle

Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply. Yes I had seen that marriage & was not sure what to make of it. John & Emma/Emily's daughter Emma was born in 1881 the eldest, so she would have only been 9 when this marriage took place so its not her marriage. Also there is no John Clarke on the marriage record.
    Do you think that this Emma is the one born in Aylesbury? If so I guess shes not who I'm after so like you say I can rule her birth out.

I appreciate your help

Paul Watts

Default Pearson Puzzle

Sadie

I suggest that you search on FreeBMD to look for Pearson births and marriages in Kent and also Clarke marriages in Kent. If this does not reveal some possibles try marriages for both in Essex and London.

In a nutshell you have got to hunt all possibilities - it is easier to do this on FreeBMD although the data is not guaranteed to be complete or 100% accurate. I will try to locate them for you on 1881.

Paul

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Watts
    Sadie
    In a nutshell you have got to hunt all possibilities - it is easier to do this on FreeBMD although the data is not guaranteed to be complete or 100% accurate.
    Paul
    Sorry but I have to take issue with Paul about parts of this. (Capitals are for emphasis.)
    Yes. 100% agree, you DO have to hunt all possibilities.
    It is CHEAPER to search on FreeBMD, but you have to remember that it is an incomplete version of the GRO Index. Therefore it you can't find an entry on FreeBMD then you do have to look on the full Index, either online at 1837 online
    (Now searchable by surname only or first and surname) or at a county Record Office, FRC in London, or your local LDS FHC .
    Having said that, Sadie, you're talking about c1861 and therefore a time when the onus for registration was on the registrar not on the parents and so not all births are on the GRO Index.Have you looked in the parish registers for East Farleigh for a baptism?
    And where was the Emily you found on the 1871 born? Does that tie in with East Farleigh or a nearby place?
    I'm not sure about this sentence but I think that the LDS 1881 CDs are searchable by first name, year of birth, and birth place or county, or any two/three of the four. If no-one on the forum has the CDs then your local LDS FHC certainly will have.

Pam Downes
    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2007 at 6:35 PM.

sadielou_b_lou

Red face Pearson Puzzle

Hi Pam, Paul & Phil

Thank for all your comments & suggestions.

The Emily on the 1871 was born in East Farleigh. I have not checked the parish records, I thought I'd try here first, but I think a trip is now necessary. I will also try the advice on the 1881.

Thank you again.

Sadie

Ron Lankshear

Default 1881 possibles and other ponderings

Well nothing definite
    John Clarke is not obvious in 1881 - did you find him - the main ones are in living in North
    From age of daughter Emma they could be married in 1881 but no Emma and John Clarke stand out
    As daughter is Emma - I would guess mother is also likely to be Emma rather than Emily

Emma Pearson in 1881 there are a couple
    One born Maidstone but 1863/64 is a servant - Emma Mabel - cannot see taht birth in FreeBMD
    and then there is an Emma born 1859/60 living with Uncle Henry but born Ashford which is far from Farleigh - that BC ref is on FreeBMD

Sorry not much