Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default Blogs for Family History

Since its been a few months since this thread was active, can we have an update on this subject. A few months always make some difference to what is making progress.

Maybe some of you who have such a blog can offer an update.

Bill in Melbourne.

Famous for offering help & advice

Nothing to add actually. One slight inconvenience which I've discovered is that there's nowhere to put the blog's URL in my profile here. In case anyone wants to see it, please could the mods advise if it's OK to post a link to it?

Arthur

Sorry for the delay - the mods replied quickly, but then I was away from the forum for a few days. I've now put a link to my blog in my signature, if anyone would like to take a look.

Arthur

Cassandra

Default Blogger

I set up a genealogy blogspot many years back and they have not for some reason been successful. they were full of interesting items but I think the problem may have been that people have the wrong impression about "blogger" and "blogspots".

Cassandra

racing girl

I have a blog that I enjoy updating and it's introduced me to some new friends in different countries. It's just a general "this is what's going on in my life" kind of blog, but I do put up the odd post in my genealogy category. Rather than writing lots of posts about every little bit of genealogical research, I prefer to gather all the data and write a little story about the person or family in question. I've only got about 4 or 5 posts in the genealogy category but would like to add more.

I use Wordpress, and I've never had a problem with spam comments, never even received a spam comment yet!! I find looking at the stats that more people read the blog than comment on it.

Brenda

Default Blog Off

Since I started this thread off, I thought I'd better give an update. If you've read all the previous messages you'll know that I started a family history blog, but I've now come to the conclusion that (in my case) it wasn't really worth the effort.

I'm not the sort of person who gives a running commentary on everything I do, and in the best part of two years I managed to create a few general pages (home page, list of surnames etc), plus a grand total of 6 articles going into more detail on some of the problems that I had yet to solve. (Looking at other blogs on the same site, that's 5 more than some people managed ) Apart from a few additional comments that I made myself, these attracted a grand total of two responses. I answered both of these, and in one case asked for more information, but nothing more was forthcoming, and I now wonder if they were genuine replies after all.

Meanwhile, in spite of there being a blacklist which instantly deleted posts containing the names of various drugs etc (and which I kept adding new terms to), I've recently had to deal with 20 or so spam postings each week. Admittedly this problem could have been reduced or eliminated if I'd made it essential for people to register before posting, but I'd wanted to make it as easy as possible for them to join a discussion.

This clearly wasn't happening, so I've come to the conclusion that a blog is something I can live without. I've taken it down and transferred the articles onto my main FH website, where they should still be picked up by search engines, and if anyone finds them and wants to contact me, they can do so from there.

Anyway, I'm glad I tried blogging, but I don't think I'm going to miss it. Maybe others will have more luck, but I thought this update might be helpful to anyone still thinking about it.

Arthur

Hi Arthur

Sorry that it didn't work out for you. I dont think I will do a blog. I have thought of doing websites but would rather just add my names to various gedcoms and Genes site and Rootsweb and if anyone wants to contact me, they can do so from those sites.

If I want to do biographies of ancestors or family lines I tend to write up books on certain ancestors and family trees rather than do blogs or websites.

I set up a website on Google Groups about a surname in Sussex but I have to keep deleting spam, and even that is when they have to register to post.

Ben

Thanks for the comments, Ben. Spam seems to be an ever-present problem with any sites with interactive features, so I'm now planning to live without them. If people want to contact me via my website, they'll have to do it by email, and for that I either use an image showing the email address or else convert the address into ASCII code numbers, so as to defeat any address harvesters.

Arthur

Hi

Spam is an ever annoying thing when doing interactive websites as you said. I am sure that is how I get spam as I keep having to delete spam out of my usual email inbox. I dont know if spammers quote email addresses then sell them on. Any spam emails I recieve onto my surname history site or personal email inbox I delete straight away without even reading them.

Ben

MarkJ

Spammers do sell email addresses Ben. I have commented on how they collect email addys and create cds for sale to other spammers in the past on this forum somewhere - probably in the computing/scam section at a guess.
    But bear in mind that spammers also use programs which simply generate email addresses. A very basic example would be to spam addresses at lets say gmail.com. So they set the program to simply work through as many variants as they can - a@, aa@, aaa@, ab@, abb@ etc

If you watch email trends, you will often see upsurges in spam to your address for a while which slowly ease until the next time your address turns up in the automatic spamming systems.
    Of course, if you have your address online - on a website for example or a guestbook - then the spammers will target you constantly. Responding to spam - in any way, either "joke" replies or clicking on any sort of "unsubscribe" link - simply increases the amount of spam you will get - because you have then informed the spammer that your address is a real live one. A "live" address can be sold for more money than one of the generic email lists....

Mark

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast