Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rellim

Default Garty. Ipswich, Suffolk.

Hi,
    Searching for info on Harriet Hannah Garty Christened on 18 MAR 1832 at Ipswich, St Clements, Bts, Suffolk, England. Father John, mother Frances. This is from the LD Saints website.

John and Frances Hethersey immigrated to Sydney, Australia and in 1841 they lived in Parramatta NSW with 2 males (born in the Colony) plus 1 son born in UK and 2 daughters born in UK --this includes Harriet.

Any info on the Garty or Hethersey family will be appreciated.

Maureen Miller

Abbot

Default JOHN GARTY

Maureen,

Sorry for the misprints (e.g. 'greta and good' for 'great and good'). I forgot to say that John Garty's Carpenter Shipping descendants not only founded a shipping line (which linked the UK with India and Australia); at one time they also owned an airline, Air Pacific. This was bought out years ago by Quantas, among others. I believe that the Gulf of Carpentaria was named after them.

Abbot

Abbot

Default MORE ON JOHN GARTY

Dear Maureen,

I am afraid that I am a not an expert on John Garty's family, but I believe that he had a number of siblings. However, I can supply the following information:

A) Ethersey. As I understand it, the baronetcy is now extinct although there are plenty of descendants in the female line. They are well documented, as is usually the case with titled families.

B) Garty. The name is still extant. Mr John Garty the fifth (or sixth) now lives near Rockingham in Ireland, although I think that his children live in Australia.

Abbot

Abbot

Default MORE ON JOHN GARTY AND ETHERSEY

Ethersey turns out to be a pretty rare name, associated with three areas of England; Suffolk (Ipswich area); Buckinghamshire and Worcestershire. The Suffolk branch seem to be the ancestral stock. The name is of course also found in London. Their fortune seems to have been founded on shipping; several of them were ship's captains and were later involved in exploration in Africa and Asia.

Garty is more mysterious. The name sounds Irish, but one source suggests that it is of Scots origin, from County Angus. Angus was the only county in which it was at all common. What both the Gartys and the Etherseys had in common was a very adventurous and entrepreneurial streak.

rellim

Default Garty/Ethersey

Dear Abbot,
    Once again, many thanks for all the information you have been able to give me regarding my ancestors. They have certainly been hard to trace here. There are a few Gartys in New South Wales (and even in the Blue Mountains, where we live) though have not checked with any, as yet. When we lived in Co. Cork, Ire, between 1991-1996, we were in Galway checking on my mother's side. The woman in the Family History Museum told us that the name Garty was a corruption of the name Gerarty. However, I think that it could, as you say, originate in Scotland. When my grandmother, Florence Garty, married my grandfather, James Delaney, they married in the Manse of the Presbyterian Church. Florence's father was Ebenezer Hebar Garty (now that sounds a bit Scottish).
    Frances Garty (Ethersey) is a tricky one. There is no death certificate available for her, and we wondered if perhaps she returned to England; or she could have moved to another State in Australia We have information that John and Frances had a second daughter, Harriet Hannah in 1832, after they had returned to England from Madras. Harriet was chistened at Suffolk. So, I need to undertake some more research on John and Frances. And thanks to you, Abbot, I have some more information to work on.

Kindest regards
    Maureen

Abbot

Default JOHN GARTY

Dear Maureen,

Glad to have been of assistance! It might be worth trying the online UK Directory, 192.com. This gives people's addresses and telephone numbers, but subscribers can also arrange searches of records of births, deaths and marriages and voters' rolls. If Frances Ethersey had returned to the UK, e.g. after her husband's death, you might be able to discover this through 192.com. There is also the National Archives (www.nationalarchives.gov.uk), whom I have found helpful. Since the Etherseys were a titled family, the College of Arms in London (www.college-of-arms.gov.uk) might have some material on them. It is very unlikley that the Etherseys did not have a coat of arms and arms, unlike the families that owned them, never die. They will be recorded in one of the volumes of matriculations held by the College. If you are very lucky, one of the Etherseys may even have recorded a 'birthbrieve'; a kind of illuminated family tree with pretty armoirial decoration, certified by the College. There is also a book available from reference libraries, 'Burke's Extinct and Dormant Peerage and Baronetage'. I hope that these leads are helpful. Abbot

suffolk sue

I was at Suffolk Record Office today and had a look at the baptism of Harriett. The date is as per IGI and the only additional information there was. John was stated as being a traveller and they were residing in Fore Street, Ipswich.

rellim

Default Garty Suffolk

Hi Suffolk Sue,

Thanks for looking this up, I'm supprised that John Garty is registered as a "Traveller" given that:
    1) he was a Tailor and
    2) that his wife (Frances) was apparently from a wealthy family.

This Harriett Garty married in New Zealand and the descendents there can not understand the connection to my John Garty.

Were there 2 John and Frances Gartys?

Maureen

Abbot

Default JOHN AND FRANCES GARTY

It is possible that there were two couples called John and Frances Garty and that they both ended up in Australia, but I think it fairly unlikely. Remember that 'traveller' has more than one meaning. Sir Richard Burton and his wife Isobel were great travellers, which does not mean that they were tinkers or commercial travellers! And John Garty does seem to have done some serious travelling/exploration at one stage. He may have preferred to be known as a 'traveller' (or explorer) rather than as the son of tailor or a person 'in trade'. Garty, like many poor but upwardly-mobile young men, joined the East India Company and made money. Old families have never been averse to marrying new money. Given that the Gartys were not at all prominent before the nineteenth century, I suggest pursuing the Ethersey family tree, which is likely to be better-documented.

Abbot

rellim

Default Garty Family

Hi Abbot,

There was a Free Trial Viewing of 19th Century UK Newspapers and I found:

1 Death Notice for Frances, wife of John Garty, in Madras 22 June 1844, in the 41st year of her age, and there is mentioned that she was the eldest daughter of the late Richard Ethersey.

2 Death Notice for Elizabeth Ethersey 19th March 1864, Norwich Road, Ipswich. I think she was the wife of Richard.

Unfortunately I was not able to copy the details of the 2nd notice and there was a word in that notice relating to the relationship of Elizabeth and Richard, which I did not understand. SO, I am not absolutely sure if these two are the parents of my Frances.

At least I now know where Frances died and the year of her birth (1803) so now I need to track down WHERE she was born. I have not had any luck with FIBIS, maybe I'm not adept in using this site I can't find any reference to Frances at all.

Happy Easter,

Maureen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast