Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Endsor

What about Armstrong Whitworth? Apparently they made armour plates at the Openshaw works.

John

I would imagine that it would have been one of the locomotive works, perhaps Beyer Peacock as they would have the capacity to roll and crop large and thick sections of steel.

I'm sure half an hour on google would elicit an answer though.

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Richards
    Whilst writing my last message, Margie has entered a message referring to the district of Gorton and the mention of a works on Gorton Lane, not more than a hundred metres past the Monastary (now being lovingly restored, such a magnificent building) - I digress - I wonder Margie, I think you may be referring to Beyer Peacocks - remember off Gorton Lane there was a Beyer Street and a Peacock Street.

Regards Jack
    ...and I join you in that digression. Take a look at
    https://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=33427

UK

margie12

second attempt not sure where my first reply went

To all of you that get nostalgic for the monastry, I will take a progress picture when I am next up that way probably a week or so, I will post it on photo bucket so you can have a look.
    At present they have put a fence around the place with pictures of monks on it, could give someone a nasty shock on a dark night after a drink.
    my memory of the monastry was in the 60s when some of my friends attended school there the monks used to walk about in the snow with sandals on and no socks, what chilblains they must have had.
    the builders have started to rebuild parts of the roof, I hope the storms have not caused damage, I look forward to seeing it restored.

back to my problem, I have come up with some names thanks to your replies and a friend has mentioned the admiralty on bessamer street, so I will put these ideas to my uncle and see if they ring a bell.

to jack I have had a look at your website very impressive especially the interactive books.

many thanks
    margaret

Philo

Question Possible BattleShip Repairs .

Hi Margaret
    Possible site for ship repairs would have been the Admarality
    workshop Cornwall Street Openshaw.
    Battleship = Royal Navy = Admarality ?
    The ? would be if the workshop was operating in the first world war.

My Father worked there in the 1950s and I was led to believe the armoured turret plates from the Amithiest were repaired at that location.

Hope this is of some help.
    Philo

mack

Quote Originally Posted by margie12 View Post
    my uncle has told me that my grandad who lived in moody street bradford m/c worked at a factory that made or fitted heavy steel plates to battleships during ww1, he cannot remember the name but says they had a famous battleship in for repair, the factory must have been near to bradford or openshaw, can any one help with the names of possible factories
    margaret
    hiya margie.
    your grandfather may have been working away from home at one of the naval yards on war work,manchester didnt have the facilities for repairing ships.
    mack

margie12

hi mack
    I got the story from my uncle al and we have settled at :

When Fred returned to England he worked in heavy engineering making steel plates for battleships. This was at Metro Vickers at Bessemer Street, off Ashton old road, Openshaw, Manchester. The company undertook the repair of Battle cruiser HMS Lion at its Trafford park premises and Fred was sent to work on the damaged ship, HMS Lion had been hit by a 12-inch shell salvo fired by the Lutzow at the battle of Jutland in 1916. Dozens of marines were killed. Fred said that the decks were awash with blood when it came to the dockyard.

if I can I like to write a story to go with the history and this one has given me plenty of grief trying to sort it out I have 3 uncles and each has a different version, I hope no-one knows better

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    hiya margie.
    your grandfather may have been working away from home at one of the naval yards on war work,manchester didnt have the facilities for repairing ships.
    mack
    I beg to differ...certainly not the largest of repairs yards, but there was ample space in the dry docks.

UK

margie12

hi uk
    wouldnt the manchester ship canal be big enough to bring the ship in to trafford park?
    by the way 2 email addresses gets you two goes at guardian online.
    margaret

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by margie12 View Post
    hi uk
    wouldnt the manchester ship canal be big enough to bring the ship in to trafford park?
    by the way 2 email addresses gets you two goes at guardian online.
    margaret
    Yes, but maybe not the very large ships. And thanks for the tip.

UK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast