RJO1

Wink Ogdens from Middleton, Lancs

I have traced back my ancestors as far back as 1810, with the birth of my Great *4 Grandfather John Ogden (born 1810 Hebers, Middleton). He married Hannah Tetlow (B 1809 (in I think Blackely, Manchester) 9 November 1829 at St Chads Rochdale. There children included: Thomas (b 1830); Edward (b 1833); Jonathan (b 1835); Betty (b 1839); James (b 1846); Robert (b 1847); John (b 1849); and Joseph (b 1851).

Do any of these names ring a bell?

Other surnames of spouses include: Partington; Oldham; Howard

Any help appreciated.

Starting to feel at home

Default Ogdens and Partington

Don't know if this will be helpful to you or not but here goes:
    Thomas Ogden married Ann Reed in Manchester cathedral on the 25th March 1799
    The only child I know for sure of theirs at present is Abraham Ogden, christened Manchester Cathedral 29/6/1800.
    Abraham married Sarqh Partington, christened Rochdale 20/4/1800
    Sarah's parents were William Partington and Sarah nee ?
    If these are related to you I can let you have a reasonable amount of information. Just let me know.
    Ros

kinshar

Post Ogdens from Middleton, Lancs

Hi

IGI has a Extracted Christening Record for Hannah Tatlow

Hannah Tatlow
    Christened ~ 7 May 1809 Blackley Lancashire England
    Father ~ Jas. Tatlow
    mothers name not listed

Regards
    Kinshar

Toronto

Default Ogdens of Middleton

I noticed an interesting article in a book named the 'Collected Articles on the history of Middleton' by Margaret Smith. Margaret spent time digging in the old Middleton Church graveyard, She uncovered a large amount of the buried tombstones and wrote an article about this an the old Middleton names of the people buried there including the name Ogdon.

She also mentions an Amos Ogden and his wife Mally. He was born in Little Green.............. I dont know where that was a lot of these place names have been forgotten.

I am not sure if Ogdon was one of the famous band of Middleton Archers who fought at Flodden Field Sept 9th 1513, during the reign of Henry V111.

Perhaps a list member in Middleton can help you. I know there are a number of people who do their research weekly in the local library in Middleton.

Hopefuilly I dont get a wrist slap for suggesting you also try subscribing to the Rootsweb Middleton List.
    Good luck with your search
    Mike Morris
    Toornto Canada Ex Middleton

RJO1

Ros

My 2nd great grandparents were Robert Ogden (b.20/04/1847) and Sarah Partington (b.04/06/1849). Sarah's father was Thomas Partington who I am led to believe was the elected Mayor of Middleton at some point.

Are we on the same lines?

Regards

RJO1

RJO1

Hi Kinsher

My Hannah Tetlow, although I do not have a christening or birth date was the daughter of James Tetlow and Hannah Thorpe. So I think it might just be a coincidence.

Thank you for the message.

Regards

RJO1

RJO1

Mike
    Thanks for the note. I have ruled out a connection with Amos Ogden already, but it was a shame because by all accounts he was quite a character. In the early to mid 1800's "Ogden" in Middleton appears to be as common as "Smith" in Yorkshire so it is a nightmare at times. A good book if you get hold of it as a history of South Lancashire is "Fieldings Historical Gleanings of South Lancashire" dated 1852. I was lucky enough to inherit a copy, it is not common from what I can gather. My dad was born Middleton 1936, around Hebers just for interest.

Thanks for the interest.

RJO1