bristolloggerheads

Default Taylors in Broseley / Benthall

I'm looking for various Thomas Taylors (sometimes called Thomas Syner, Synar, Signor, Cynor etc.) buried in Broseley / Benthall prior to 1816. There would appear to be no monumental inscriptions recorded for St. Leonards / All Saints Broseley - is there a graveyard still there and does anyone know if the graves go back this far?

Peter

Paul Marshall

Default Broseley St Leonard's

Hi Peter,

There is some information here about All Saints Broseley (St Leonard's)

Apparently the registers go back to 1570, and are available in the local libraries, I would check with Broseley Local History Society

They have published an interesting book on their website; called "Broseley and Its Surroundings" which has some MI's but later than 1816, I think - I just had a quick look ...

Paul

Paul Marshall

Default Broseley Parish Registers

I have just seen on the same site they have put online Broseley Parish Registers from 1700 - 1750

https://www.broseley.org.uk/registers.htm

Paul

bristolloggerheads

Default Taylors

Paul,

Thanks for the link to the article it's very interesting. I have all the details from the online registers (which are not entirely accurate by the way) but at one point I have five Thomas Taylors in Broseley at the same time and working out which one died when is a headache. I was hoping that age at death from MI information might help considerably - hence my request about the graveyard.

Peter

Paul Marshall

Shropshire FHS have MI's for Benthall, have you looked in there ?

BENTHALL
    St Bartholomew – Monumental Inscriptions, 1703-1994 £1.40 + postage (Photocopy)

https://www.sfhs.org.uk/Documents/SFHS_Publications.pdf

Paul

bristolloggerheads

Default Benthall

Yes, looked Benthall, Jackfield, Astley Abbotts and Broseley Baptist. It's surprising that the biggest church in the area doesn't seem to have MIs recorded anywhere.

ann johnston

Default broseley graves

hi

i have visited broseley and trekked all the grave yards for my family 9th bagleys),

my family came from broseley/broseley wood it is a very very tiny village broseley and considering they lived mainly in the centre i found info in all of the ones below

st leonards - most off the graves have gone but there are a few round the side of the church area, the vicar there was lovely and he let me go through all the burials for the church and i did find a few he was very helpful

broseley cemetery- this is up the road from broseley and there is an awful lot of graves there again i did find a lot of my family in there too

broseley wood - there is a hall there i think its benthall hall again there is a small church yard there with quite a nunber of graves in

i hope that has helped i do intend to go back down again when the weather gets a bit better so of there is any information you would like let me know

bristolloggerheads

Default Taylors

Thank you for the kind offer. I too intend to pay a visit. At the moment I am looking for the death of Thomas Taylor in January 1739/40 - it would be so helpful to know how old he was when he died. I have a copy of an inventory so I know he owned a clay pipe shop in Broseley. The chances of finding older generations I know must be remote but you never know. I believe they lived between Broseley and Benthall.

Peter

Kaye Thiel

Default William Taylor of Broseley

hello ,I am researching this Taylor family also , I have gotten back as far as William Taylor born in Broseley c1791 he married Mary ...........? He was a Clay Tobacco Pipe Maker according to 1841 Cencus.1861 Cencus lists his Son Thomas Taylor Wife Julia Hannah Taylor (nee)Price .Thomas listed as Tobacco Pipe maker .In 1871 Cencus their son Edward listed as Tobacco Pipe maker . also there is a connection with Penybont Hall Radnoreshire ,I think it was with the Servants at the hall ,story goes that a man by the name of Taylor came to the Hall selling his pipes and fell in love with a woman from there ,and they eloped ,I don'know who she was either ,can anyone help .Penybont HAll RAdnoreshire SHropshire . all the Cencus mentioned here are for Shrewsbury .

MJHulme

Default Broseley All Saints MIs 1770-1925

The March 2011 issue of the Shropshire Family History Society journal (Vol.32 Pt.1) has the announcement that the Broseley All Saints MIs 1770-1925 are now available in A4 format. There is no plan but the locations are well described. Cost is GBP 4.00 plus GBP 1.40 p&p. Available from Shropshire FHS.

Mike
    Shropshire, UK