apick1

Default Help With Pickering on 1871 Census

Hello

Could someone point me to the location of Robert Pickering in the 1871 Census records.

I've got the Northumberland records but can't find him on the searching I've tried so far.

He was born in 1861 in Slaley (Hexham, Northumberland).

I've tried the obvious of Slaley, Hexham and surrounding areas but no luck.

Thanks

Tony

Mythology

Son of ... ?

I have one in West Acomb, but he's allegedly born Hexham rather than Slaley. I don't know the territory, so if that sounds likely to you as a reasonable generalisation for a birthplace rather than being precise, he's aged 10, the son of Thomas and Jane. Any good? If so:
    RG10/5151, folio 9, page 11

Next nearest looks less likely to me - a 9 year-old Robert J Pickering in Thockrington, claims he's born there too, son of a widowed William. I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for him - but if your boy's father is William he may be worth a look, see if the rest of the family gives anything away.
    RG10/5159, folio 63, page 9

apick1

Thanks for the help.

I believe it is the one at West Acomb. Slaley is part of the district of Hexham which fits.

The family were at Chollerton on later Census records which is the same area as West Acomb.

So I've now got Roberts parents (Thomas and Jane) for the first time and at first glance at my records I think his granmother also.

Thanks again for the help.

I'm sure I'll be back again when I'm next stuck

Tony