johnwilsonstorey

Default William Godley C1790

I have it on good information that William Godley Born 1790 Edingley Nottinghamshire is my 3 x greatgrandfather. The only other ting I know is that he had a son Charles (2 x GGF) does anyone have any further info about this family?

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnwilsonstorey
    I have it on good information that William Godley Born 1790 Edingley Nottinghamshire is my 3 x greatgrandfather. The only other ting I know is that he had a son Charles (2 x GGF) does anyone have any further info about this family?
    Does the following fit with what you know of your family:

Census: 1851: HO107/2134 Folio 275 Page 19
    Address: ?Tolle Bar, Edingley, Nottinghamshire, England
    -- William Godley Head Mar 60 Ag. Laborer born: Notts Edingley
    -- Ann Do Wife Mar 45 born: Do Farnsfield
    -- Charlotte Do Daur U 30 Pauper born: Do Halam
    -- Herbert Do Son 10 Scholar born: Do Farnsfield
    -- Levi Do Son 7 do born: Do Do
    -- John Do Son 5 do born: Do Do
    -- Henry Do Son 2 born: Do Edingley

Judging by the ages of the children [30, 10, 7, 5 and 2], it looks like Ann may not have been William's 1st wife.

HTH,
    Trish

This family in the 1841 census could be the same family as the one I just gave you from the 1851 census. Note that there is a Charles in the household:

Census: 1841: HO107/865/18 Folio 16 Page 19
    Address: Farnsfield, NOttinghamshire, England
    -- William Godly [sic] 50 Ag Lab P: army [...not sure what P: Army means] Y [Yes for born in same county]
    -- Ann do 30 y
    -- Charlotte do 20 Y
    -- Harriet do 13 Y
    -- George do 9 Y
    -- Charles do 7 Y
    -- Herbert Godly 1 month Y
    -- Reuben Glazbrook 8 yrs Y

Regards,
    Trish
    Last edited by Trish; 03-02-2007 at 2:01 PM. Reason: Correcting my transcription error: Rueben to Reuben

johnwilsonstorey

Default William Godley

Thanks for the quick replies, I have had a also had a reply from a relative that was also looking for info on William and what you have found confirm that this is the correct family. Apparently he was an army man but couldn't have been away too much because he had 18 (yes 18 children!) with 2 wives.
    Thanks again for looking and I will be very pleased to recieve anything else you may find.
    By the way one of the older children (Charlotte) in the cencus is shown as a pauper, why is only this child shown in this way and not the whole family? Any thoughts. John

janbooth

Default William GODLEY

According to the Nottingham FHS Marriage Index a William GODLEY married an Ann GLAZEBROOK on 9 December 1835 at Farnsfield. On FHS Burial Index, there are the following GODLEY burials:

16 August 1861 GODLEY Henry aged 12 Farnsfield
    29 October 1862 GODLEY Charlotte aged 42 Farnsfield
    1 February 1868 GODLEY William aged 74 Farnsfield
    3 November 1876 GODLEY Ann aged 71 Farnsfield

Ann appears on the 1871 census of Farnsfield RG10/3532, folio 119, page 17, schedule 113, Back Lane as Head of Household, Widow, 66, Charwoman, born Farnsfield Notts.

Hope this helps.

Janet

John,

It seems likely, based on Janet's information, that Reuben Glaz[e]brook may have been Ann's son by a previous relationship or perhaps a nephew.

...Just now, I looked for more information on the Glazebrook surname in the 1841 census and see that someone with the username of "aliglaze" is also interested in the Glazebrooks. They have corrected the transcription of the name from Glasbrook to Glazebrook [on the image itself, the writing looks like Glazbrook -- with the "e" hidden perhaps in the "z" or "b"]. Unfortunately, there is no contact info given for this person.

I can only guess why Charlotte would have been labeled a pauper. I've seen it in other listings where, most commonly, an elderly parent is living with a married son or daughter and is listed as a pauper. It was probably a term the enumerators often used for someone who was of adult age, without a job, not of independent means, etc. who relied on the head of the family for support. I wouldn't attach too much significance to it.

Regards,
    Trish

John,

Eighteen children? Wow.

Here's the 1861 census info for William Godley:

Census: 1861: RG9/2471 Folio 8 Page 10
    Address: Farnsfield, Nottinghamshire, England
    -- William Godley Head Mar 70 Labourer Chelsa Pensioner born: Nottingham
    -- Ann do Wife do 55 do Wife born: do Farnsfield
    -- Charlotte do Daur Un 40 do daur born: do Hallam

HTH,
    Trish

janbooth

Default William GODLEY

And if you go into Hugh Wallis's IGI site (https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ttingham.htm#H) and look under baptisms of Halam, you will see five baptisms to William GODLEY and Elizabeth, including that of Charlotte, so it looks as if William married an Elizabeth sometime prior to September 1820. I can't find a marriage on the Notts FHS Marriage Index prior to 1820.

Janet