jen wilson

Default 1861 Essex census look up please

Can anyone out there look up Ann Cant, age 48(ish), born Portsea, Hampshire, almost certainly living in Brightlingsea. I should like to know whether she is married or widowed. I know that her husband, Samuel Cant was dead by 1871 but can't find a record of his death, so I'd like to narrow down the time I have to search. They were still having children in 1854, so th '61 census seems the next sensible thing to check. They had offspring, Ermina, Ursula, Joseph, William and George, all born in Brightlingsea.
    Obviously, I should love to hear from anyone with connections to this family.

Cheers,

Jen

Linda

Default Cant family

Hi Jen

Samuel was still living in 1861:

RG9/1101 folio 82, page 18 ,schedule 99
    New Street, Brightlingsea

Samuel Cant/Head/Mar/51/Mariner/Essex, Brightlingsea
    Ann / wife/ Mar/47/Hants., Portsea
    Ermina/Daur/Un/22/dressmaker/Essex, Brightlingsea
    Ursula / Daur/Un/10/Scholar/Essex, Brightlingsea
    Joseph/Son/Un/10/Scholar/Essex, Brightlingsea
    William/Son/Un/7/Essex, Brightlingsea

There was also a 15 year old Elizabeth Cant in Brightlingsea, a servant in the home of George and Ann Ruffell. Don't know if she belongs to the same family but she is on piece RG9/1101 f.74, p4

Linda

jen wilson

Thanks Linda,

That's really helpful. I have found the death of a Samuel Cant in Lexden in 1865 but with no age or any other information, so I guess I shall just have to send for the certificate, with conditions, and hope for the best.
    I may have further Essex census queries, do you mind if I come straight to you with them, rather than posting on the site and hoping for the best.

Cheers,

Jen
    (In cold Cumbria)

Linda

Default Essex 1861

Hi Jen

Glad to be of help. For Essex I only have 1861 census, so if that is what you need you can certainly ask, within reason.

Linda
    (in colder Canada)