Mutley

Default 1851 Census - Please can you read it?

Class: HO107; Piece: 1584; Folio: 751; Page: 16
    The McCarthy Family
    James, Mary age 60, Mary age 18, and Thomas are Inmates of where?
    Head of Household is Sarah Canty a Fartley Occupant/Occupier????
    I am not interested in the Driscolls.

Thanks,
    Mutley

Procat

Hi Mutley,

I don't think they are inmates of anything in the way we normally assume.

I am guessing they are boarders. The term inmate is used in a number of places through this Folio. Page 7 has for the top entry "Inmate to No. 18".

The term lodger is used in various places but a quick perusal of some 16 pages did not find the term boarder.

Mythology

I would agree with Doug re the "inmate" situation, but ...

The McCarthy Family
    James, Mary age 60, Mary age 18, and Thomas are Inmates of where?
    Head of Household is Sarah Canty a Fartley Occupant/Occupier????
    That is not how it appears. There are *two* households containing McCarthys in the same property.

(continues - edited due to the usual double text bug)

Mythology

1) The Driscolls, John Driscoll being head of household, with McCarthys being Mary 60, Thomas 15, Mary 18, James 25 - those are the ones you expressed interest in, so they are with the Driscolls, not with Sarah Canty, she's not head of household for your lot.

2) The Canty woman - who isn't a woman! "Sarah" Canty is Jonah (or could be a faded Josiah?) Canty, an 83 year-old widower. I am not sure what the first bit of that "Occupier" bit is, could be "Partly" I suspect, but he is shown as "House Keeper in absence of Family" so, whatever it says, it's pretty clear what the position is. With him are the second lot of McCarthys - Charles 57, Mary 56, James 32, John 18 - not your McCarthys.
    Last edited by Mythology; 22-12-2006 at 8:04 AM.

Mutley

Thanks Procat
    My lot were boarders all their lives and moving around, I imagine, to skip paying the rent, so that fits.

Thank you Mythology
    What I can see on my screen is so faded but now I have read your transcription it makes sense.
    It is young Mary b. 1833 I am interested in. I wondered if this is the Mary from Cork that married a Frederick Horsnell b. abt 1830 from Faulkbourne, Essex between 1846 and 1853.
    If this is her it narrows the marriage search dates.

Thanks again
    Mutley