saz1885

Default The Meaning Behind Gro References

Hi all, Merry Christmas!!!

I am hoping that you might be able to help and bring me a Merry Christmas too.xx I am at the end of my tether with this one, and have tried all but this...

So, I am now trying to find the marriage certificate of Kenneth Leslie Adams and Olwen Margaret Griffiths (Ken was adopted and I know neither his birth nor adoptive parents, so figured that his marriage certificate would show at least one set!). They were married in Basford, Nottinghamshire in the second quarter of 1953.

However, apparently Basford is a regional district, and to know more, I need a parish! Argh! Can anyone help? The GRO reference is 3c 150 - is there any way of finding out more from this simple reference? After all, the numbers and letters have to represent something...right?

Thanks for any help,
    and have a fabulous weekend!

Love to all,

Sarah
    x x x x x

Mythology

It depends what you mean by "trying to find".

It is a GRO index reference, and you can order the certificate from the GRO using just the information that you have.
    You can do this online at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...te/index.asp#0

The reference repesents the volume and page in the GRO copies of the registers, not a specific parish. If you are trying to order it through a local register office, it is of absolutely no use whatsoever to them and unless you want to pay extra for them to search, they may indeed require more information. Local offices are extremely variable, so I wouldn't like to guess what Nottinghamshire ones are like as I've not used them.