Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BeeE586

You are lucky ! I was chrged £5 to confirm a single burial from a southern county which shall remain nameless. I found out no more than I had discovered from a submitted IGI entry which gave Name, Date and Place of Burial, all of which information I supplied. I suppose it was cheaper than actually travelling to Her .... Oops, sorry.

Eileen

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Talking A healthy family!

Today, whilst extracting my FAWCETT names from indexes of burials, which are in eight booklets altogether ...... I was about to throw a party in celebration, as during the years 1790-1813, not a single member of the family died!

When the penny dropped that this 'can't be right', I glanced at the names which are in alphabetical order. Straight from DURRANS to FAWTHORP, then another glance to the bottom of the page, to find that a page is missing. No prizes for guessing the page number, 13 of course!

I'll contact my FHS about the problem, nicely of course, as everyone makes mistakes. Perhaps it's not their fault at all, maybe the firm who does their printing had a bad day. I just hope that they can send me a copy of page 13 from their database.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

To quote Richard Wilson, from *One foot in the grave* ...... I don't believe it!

Booklet 1876-1905, surnames FARRAR then straight to FLETCHER ...... yes, page 13 is missing again, along with my lot.

I've checked the rest and at least they have pages numbered 13.

BeeE586

It must always be borne in mind that registers vary in the amount of information they give, and even within a particular parish it can vary with a change of incumbent or parish clerk. I have family from Chesterfield and for a good many years in the early 1700's there is nothing but the name - no age, not son or daughter or wife of, no place of residence - just a name, which tends to make things difficult in connecting families.

By contrast, I am currently transcribing North Wingfield for a similar time span - 1727 to 1751 - and it gives all those details (except age) also including widow or widower.

A transcriber can only copy what is given.

Eileen
    Last edited by BeeE586; 28-10-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: hyphen

Eileen,

Yes, I do realise that tracing burials and *finding* the correct person is very difficult, even the information on microfiche for burials can be sketchy. When I visited the Archives years ago, there were a lot of burials in Thornhill which I never managed 'to trace'.

Birstall Parish is very big and I can't afford to buy all the microfiche for it, so I purchased the indexes to use as a guide. A few of my lot have unusual names, for example, Eli and Israel ...... so I can trace those easily enough.

When I've worked through them all, I shall have a fair idea of which years to purchase on microfiche, so that I can see the extra details which indexes don't give.

Well, full marks for express service!

I wrote an e-mail to the data base chappie and sent a carbon copy of it to the publications section, requesting scanned copies of the two missing pages if possible. This morning I received profuse apologies from both, along with the scanned copies and a big *Thank You* for telling them so quickly!

Apparently, the printers are at fault, so they are doing a re-print at their own cost.

apehangmom

Default this may be off the mark but still interesting all the same

Hey the ( Archelogy data service... (British)Had a study done of the CHristchurch.. Okay I looked for 15 minuntes in my bookmarks but couldnt find the report.. This was facinating reading..( what happened was the scientist took the graves in the church and did a full history on as many of the dead in opened or distroyed caskets.... I am thinking that they are within 50 mile range from giggleswick. )AS I AM UNSURE as knowing that where I live that sometimes churches are named the same.. ANd unsure if CHRISTCHURCH is only one or there is one in every parrish.. BUT ANYWAY the patrons of the church or buried folk were of the silk and cloth manufacturing guilds.. The scientist took the opned caskets looked and charted the clothing... the bones were analized ,, the towns folk also brought in an entire family history on the dead. This is to carry on where the dead stopped. It was so facinating . But the report was of the history of the dead person to what they ate to what condition the bones were in to how they lived... I think that this is something worth seeing for the genealogist who is thinking that they have family buried in this church. I willlook further and find it . But I do know that the ARCHELOGICAL DATA SERVICE Has many intersting collections of churches that coincide with genealogy .. that goes with our conversation.. thanks chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12