Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Default Family History Society Transcriptions

I know that these are done by volunteers and I'm curious as to whether each Society, decides what information to include or not include on them.

If anyone has purchased any Burial transcriptions, will you please tell me what info you were given ....... name, date etc?
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of things could be said about this. To my mind, a transcript should be just that - a copy of eveything in the PR. If it's described as an index, you should only expect to find enough information to help you find the original entry.

Brian

Hello Diane,
    I am transcribing for the Forest of Dean Website. Our template came from Gloucester Record Office and we make a complete copy - including any errors/crossing out etc. I would hope that others do the same.

Guy Etchells

Most family history societies only make an abstract of the records they transcribe.
    This means they leave out what they decide is un-important information (perhaps vicar's name in registers etc.).

Unfortunately in some cases knowing the vicar came from a different parish could provide a lead as could knowing the officiating minister was a non-conformist.

Having said that I take the view that although I would prefer having full transcriptions, an abstract is better than an index, which is better than nothing at all.
    Cheers
    Guy

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply.

I received a booklet for burials recently, which lists only surname, forenames, date of burial (and age in some cases). In respect of the females, particularly when no age is listed, it's very hard with a 'common' forename, to work out whether they were single or married.

Details of a lot of these burials, I obtained from Wakefield Archives in the 1990's, these have more information ........ daughter/wife/widow of whoever, so I couldn't understand why these details weren't shown on these transcriptions.

The web site publications say Burials, so I thought the transcriptions would be in full ...... no mention of an index, but that is what the booklet says on the front cover - Index of Burials.

Not to worry though. My husband bought me a microfiche reader last week and my first microfiche order, was sent to Wakefield Archives the following day.

These burials will be added to my already long list for future orders!

Mutley

Hello Diane,
    I have the OXF-WAN02 Oxfordshire Parish Registers. For burials it says at the front that names have been transcribed as originally recorded and the spellings have been followed slavishly.

In the 1500's it is just a name and date and the minister's initials.
    In the 1600's it starts to give maybe child. infant, a householder or similar.
    In the 1700 - 1900's an age is added. Occasionally the parents of a child, cause of death or of 'and another named parish is given'. Sometimes with an infant a baptism date is in brackets. By now the minister's name is recorded.
    There are also notes in brackets to say a page is missing or similar.

I would say that they have recorded it exactly as it was in the original register.
    The index is just a surname and a list of the years that have that name recorded but because of spelling variations you should trawl right through the register and can sometimes be really lucky to pick up a tidbit of extra information.

Regards, Mutley

Hi Brian,

Well I never! I typed out my reply to Peter in Notepad, when his message turned up in my inbox, then came here and read your message, before submitting my response to him.

I followed the link you gave ...... it's wonderful! I read all about the project and you are all to be congratulated for this marvellous achievement.

In respect of the 'cut price' microfiche at 50p, that's a very good deal ..... mind you, I'm very happy with my discounted price from Wakefield Archives. £1.20 per fiche, including VAT and P&P ........ 80p with single orders of 50 fiche or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells
    Having said that I take the view that although I would prefer having full transcriptions, an abstract is better than an index, which is better than nothing at all.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Hi Guy,

Oh yes, I do agree with you. When one cannot access any Record Offices in person ...... any little crumb contributes to a slice of bread!

Hi Mutley,

Thanks for your response too, it's nice to know that you have the full information from the PR's.

Luckily, all of my Mum's Yorkshire lot, are to be found in just four Parishes and one of those is quite small, 'coming under' one of my other three Parishes for quite some time, this being the 'Mother' Church.

I won't have to buy all the microfiche for all these Parishes ..... just the missing info years!

There is a little note in this booklet which reads:

The information listed is sufficient only to identify the person concerned. In many cases, extra information, such as occupation, cause of death or names of relatives, is available on a database on the Society's computer and can be provided at a small charge in the Society's premises, or by application to our Librarian there.

Seeing as I was charged £1.25, for each Essex baptism entry look-up a few years ago, I'm not even going to bother asking them for a price. I'm now working through my files and I have managed to tie-in a good many of the female burials so far, thanks to their last appearance on census returns and FreeBMD entries listed as possible deaths for them.

I'm only stuck with burials 1813-1892, so the ones I can't manage to trace, I'll buy the microfiche.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast