Since my last posting in the Cheshire forum I have traced my grandfather, George to St. George in Shropshire. The Census of 1891 gives his birthplace as Peplon and the Shropshire Records office says this is Peplon Fields in Newport - I wonder if anyone has heard of this place or if there are any old maps showing this. Godfrey Maps don't publish one for this area.

Notwithstanding the above, I now have a copy of his birth certificate, which records his birthplace as Lower Street, St. George, Lillishall. I also have Alan Godfrey maps showing St. George and Oakengates and although not all streets are named, there is no Lower Street - there is however a Gower Street and wonder if this could have been misread on the original document. I would like to get to the bottom of this, as I have managed to find and in most cases visited the houses where most of my family have lived back as far as the 1860's.

I am also fascinated with why my great grandparents, with a one year old daughter would travel all the way from Salford in Lancashire, where they were married, to St. George, in 1882-4. It would appear that the largest employer in St. George was the Lillishall Company and their presence in the town is still shown in 1902 as the Newyard Engineering Works (Godfrey Map 36.11) so perhaps they were his employer and recruitment was being carried out in some of the larger towns including Salford and Manchester.

Incidentally my great grandfather's occupation is recorded as Warehouseman on my grandfather's birth certificate.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Mel