Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore
    I have been under the impression that there was an original collection document, transcribed to the schedule that we now see, and I thought perhaps there could have been a mistranscription at that stage
    True and there could have been but there's no way of telling. However, all the advice on interpreting census returns is that ages are probably the least reliable item.

There's no reason why enumerators should have been OK at transcribing most of the household schedule except the age!

One should also be cautious about the age given on death certificates. The informant may simply not have known the exact age of the deceased.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey

One should also be cautious about the age given on death certificates. The informant may simply not have known the exact age of the deceased.
    Hi Peter,

You are quite right, and no-one is more wary of anything at all on a death certificate than me - we get more details in Australian death certificates, so we see a wider range of errors and fibs. And so we will be looking for other corroborating (or otherwise) evidence, don't you worry about that.

And it's even hotter in Melbourne now than it was this morning.

Best wishes,

Lenore

ziksby

Default Benbow emigration to Utah

Hi
    Only just picked up on this thread, but I have Benbows in my tree, including a Mary, William and Jane from the Grendon area. They emigrated in the 1840s and eventually settled in California. Look at my tree at www.tribalpages.com/tribes/ziksby
    Regards
    Roger

jeeb

Default Emigration?

Quote Originally Posted by ziksby
    Hi
    Only just picked up on this thread, but I have Benbows in my tree, including a Mary, William and Jane from the Grendon area. They emigrated in the 1840s and eventually settled in California. Look at my tree at www.tribalpages.com/tribes/ziksby
    Regards
    Roger
    Hi Roger,
    I think only some of the family emigrated to America after the death of Thomas in 1835. Mary,(mother) William & Jane are in London on 1851 census and Mary Benbow, the widow of Thomas dies in London in 1857 and her son William is the informant on her death certificate.
    Cheers, Jeremy

Red Kite

Hi Lenore, I have Herefordshire Benbows too. I wonder if you have made any progress since this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb View Post
    I have had another look at Jane Benbow on the 1841 census and she is indexed as living alone but I would think she is actually living with William (30) & Mary (40) Bray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    I wonder if Mary Bray could be of interest by way of being a former Miss Benbow? I'll have a hunt round and see if I can turn up anything there.
    I'm descended from James Benbow c1759 and Mary Bray b 1762 in Bromyard. They married in Bromyard in 1792 and lived in Winslow. I think it's possible that he is the James Benbow born 1759 in Grendon Bishop, son of Prestwood Benbow & Elizabeth Cook - if so he would be the uncle of your Thomas. (But I would need to 'kill off' James's first wife for this to work! However my James & Mary had children called Prestwood and Elizabeth so ...)

Anyway there were certainly Brays in Bromyard, so could it be that your 1841 Brays were connections of my Mary Bray ...

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Red Kite,

Sorry for being slow to respond, I've been away. Now I have to contact my cousin to unravel this mystery (it's her family, not mine), so I'll do that and get back to you.

Best wishes,

Lenore

Red Kite

No worries, not been in much myself as my pc has been misbehaving. Will be interesting if we can manage to connect any of these people!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12