Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default 1841 census lookup for Benbow, please

Hello folks,

Thomas Benbow of Grendon Bishop, or Winslow, Herefordshire, died in 1835 at Winslow, and I am seeking his widow and children in the 1841 Census.

These were Mary Benbow, aged about 41
    William Benbow, aged about 24
    Jane Benbow, aged about 9

In 1851 they turned up in Westminster, MDX for the census, but we don't know where they were in 1841. Any clues?

With thanks,

Lenore

jeeb

Default Jane

Hi Lenore,
    Jane's age is given as 22 on the 1851 census so this maybe a possibility for her in 1841. She is seemingly living on her own which seems a bit strange.

HO107/1179/10 Folio 39 Page 29
    Swindon, Wilts
    Jane Benbow age 13 not born in county.

There is a Mary Benbow aged 35 in Rotherhithe, Southwark, Surrey. She is a F S (female servant) Not born in county, which could possibly be the mother.
    Ref HO107/1067 Folio 16 Page 5

Cheers Jeremy

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb
    Hi Lenore,
    Jane's age is given as 22 on the 1851 census so this maybe a possibility for her in 1841. She is seemingly living on her own which seems a bit strange.

HO107/1179/10 Folio 39 Page 29
    Swindon, Wilts
    Jane Benbow age 13 not born in county.

There is a Mary Benbow aged 35 in Rotherhithe, Southwark, Surrey. She is a F S (female servant) Not born in county, which could possibly be the mother.

Cheers Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy,

Do you mean that there was no other person in the household with Jane Benbow at all? It does indeed seem odd - but perhaps someone was away for the night? It goes withouth saying I wasn't expecting her to be in Wiltshire, but Herefordshire or near Westminster. I'll talk to my cousin about whether she thinks there was other family in Wiltshire.

The Mary Benbow in Rotherhithe is also a bit tricky - I don't know of any of her family being there (my cousins might have a better idea).

We know that when Mary's husband died in 1835 the two middle children were farmed out to an uncle and taken to America. The American branches of the family feel that Mary Benbow remarried, and that Jane never married and died in England, and they didn't know what became of William. However, we found Mary, William and Jane together in the 1851 Census, and Jane married in 1857. This gave the appearance of Mary having kept her eldest boy and the baby with her. There is a chance that William was an ex-nuptial child, and the Benbow uncle didn't want the responsibility, but the other thought is that at the age of 13 he could work and assist with an income.

I'll have a chat to my cousin and see what she thinks about these two 1841 Census entries.

With grateful thanks,

Lenore

jeeb

Default 1841 census

Hi Lenore,
    I have had another look at Jane Benbow on the 1841 census and she is indexed as living alone but I would think she is actually living with William (30) & Mary (40) Bray.

The Mary Benbow in Rotherhithe (1841) looks promising. She is a servant to Richard Courteen, a solicitor living in Paradise Row. There is no other Mary Benbow in London on 1851 census, except yours, that matches the age unless of course she died or married in between censuses. Rotherhithe is relatively close to Westminster for a strong likelihood for someone to have moved there.

Jeremy

Reputation beyond repute

She is seemingly living on her own which seems a bit strange
    I think my interpretation of the entry in the enumeration book would be that she was living with William and Mary Bray. There's a single slash after Mary Bray because the surname is changing and a double slash after Jane Benbow because she's the last entry in the house.

To my mind, the entry that follows Jane Benbow is difficult to explain but as we're not interested in him I don't suppose we need to worry about it.

Reputation beyond repute

Jeremy

My apologies. I didn't see your latest message. My fault for not pressing the refresh button

A fountain of knowledge

Thank you Jeremy and Peter, your explanations are very useful.

I wonder if Mary Bray could be of interest by way of being a former Miss Benbow? I'll have a hunt round and see if I can turn up anything there.

I am rather warming to the idea of the Mary Benbow in Rotherhithe being the right one, despite expecting to find at least Mary and Jane together, if not with William. His occupation in 1851 appears to be tunnel miner navvy, according to my cousin. She can't think of a particular reason for Mary to be in Rotherhithe, other than the fact that several Benbow families left Grendon for London around this time, so she may have been within striking distance of relatives.

My grateful thanks to you both. My cousin and I are waiting with interest for Mary's death certificate to arrive, particularly to discover the informant.

Best wishes,

Lenore

A fountain of knowledge

Cheers Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy and others,

Just a little update. We were awaiting a death certificate for what we thought to be our Mary Benbow who died in Westminster in 1857. This has arrived, and it is the woman we are chasing. She was aged 62, widow of Thomas Benbow, farmer, and the informant was her son, William Benbow.

The age of 51 in the 1851 Census was possibly a misreading of 57. In theory she ought to be about 46 in the 1841 Census, rounded to 45, rather than 35, but it may have been mistranscribed, perhaps. Not sure what to make of the Rotherhithe entry now - further work to be done, obviously.

Thank you for your interest.

Best wishes,

Lenore

jeeb

Wink Mary's age?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore
    Hi Jeremy and others,

The age of 51 in the 1851 Census was possibly a misreading of 57. In theory she ought to be about 46 in the 1841 Census, rounded to 45, rather than 35, but it may have been mistranscribed, perhaps. Not sure what to make of the Rotherhithe entry now - further work to be done, obviously.

Thank you for your interest.

Best wishes,

Lenore
    Hi Lenore,
    Mary definitely has given her age as 51 on 1851 census. I have checked. It would seem she told a little fib so probably did in 1841 too!

Happy New Year.
    Jeremy

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Lenore,
    Mary definitely has given her age as 51 on 1851 census. I have checked. It would seem she told a little fib so probably did in 1841 too!

Happy New Year.
    Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy,

I may have it wrong, but I have been under the impression that there was an original collection document, transcribed to the schedule that we now see, and I thought perhaps there could have been a mistranscription at that stage - I certainly agree that the 1851 Census does show 51. She may well have fibbed then, and in 1841, or alternatively the 1841 Mary Benbow is a bit doubtful. We need to do a bit more work on it to see what else we can turn up that would tend to confirm, or not, that identification.

Thank you once again, and a Happy New Year to you.

Best wishes,

Lenore
    in Hot, Hot, Hot, Melbourne.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast