A fountain of knowledge

Default Census help for Pendrill/Pendrell

Hello folks,

I am trying to follow the fortunes of Jane Benbow, born circa 1832 in Winslow, Herefordshire. In 1851 she was in the Census at Westminster, and in the Mar Qtr 1857 married Leonard Richard PENDRILL in Westminster.

The 1881 Census finds the PENDRELL family in North Row, London, MDX, with only one child living with them - Emily Jane Pendrell, 21, born in St Marylebone, dressmaker. I can see her birth in the Free BMD in Dec Q 1859, but no other obvious children leap off the indexes.

I would be grateful for any help with the 1861 and 1871 Census to see if there were any other children for Leonard and Jane Pendrell/Pendrill.

It appears that Jane PENDRELL died at Marylebone in Mar Qtr 1885 aged 54, and Leonard remarried, possibly to Annie JUDGE, in in Jun 1886. I find Leonard and Annie in the 1901 Census running a mangling business.

With thanks,

Lenore

Knowledgeable and helpful

1816 census:-

civil parish Westminster St. James, reg dist St. James, sub reg dist Golden Square. Middlesex.

Household members:-

Emily Pendrill age 1
    Jane Pendrill age 31
    Leone Pendrill age 25
    Thos Pendrill age 7

1871 census:-

civil parish St. George Hanover Square, sub reg dist Hanover Square. Middlesex.

Household members:-

Emily J. Pendrell age 11
    Jane Pendrell age 41
    Leonard R. Pendrell age 35
    Sarah Pendrell age 60 (aunt)
    Thomas Pendrell age 17

Julie

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Further to the above post by Blue Eyes..

Leonard ( shown in 1861 as Leond) is a Potsman in 1861 - I think! shown as born Bloomsbury. In 1871 he is shown as born St Giles and is a Builder Labourer.

Jane is shown as born Hertsfordshire in both entries, Laundress in 1871
    Thomas, born St Giles Middlesex, errand boy in 1871
    Emily born Marylbone,Middlesex, scholar in 1871
    Aunt Sarah, no occupation, born Surrey

Christine

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes
    1816 census:-

civil parish Westminster St. James, reg dist St. James, sub reg dist Golden Square. Middlesex.

Emily Pendrill age 1
    Jane Pendrill age 31
    Leone Pendrill age 25
    Thos Pendrill age 7

1871 census:-

civil parish St. George Hanover Square, sub reg dist Hanover Square. Middlesex. <snip>

Julie
    Hi Julie,

Right on the money, the very folk I am after - but where the heck has young Thomas Pendrill bobbed up from? Leonard and Jane were married in the Dec Quarter 1859, and young Thomas apparently born in 1854. There is one in the Free BMD registered in Stepney in the Dec Q of 1854, and a Thomas Penny (sic) registered in St Giles in Mar Qtr 1855. Or could he have been an ex-nuptial child of Jane's registered as a Benbow? More research needs to be done, evidently.

I'm interested to note that in 1871 they were in St George Hanover Square, because a Thomas Benbow married there in 1875 - but on the other hand a Thomas James Pendrill died in West Ham aged 43 in the Mar Qtr of 1898, so there's more than one possibility.

Thank you so much for your help with this, much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Lenore

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR
    Further to the above post by Blue Eyes..

Leonard ( shown in 1861 as Leond) is a Potsman in 1861 - I think! shown as born Bloomsbury. In 1871 he is shown as born St Giles and is a Builder Labourer.

Jane is shown as born Hertsfordshire in both entries, Laundress in 1871
    Thomas, born St Giles Middlesex, errand boy in 1871
    Emily born Marylbone,Middlesex, scholar in 1871
    Aunt Sarah, no occupation, born Surrey

Christine
    Hi Christine,

Thank you again for that information. It's interesting about Jane being a Laundress. After she died, Leonard remarried to an Annie, and the two of them are in the 1901 Census as a Mangler (Annie), and an Assistant to Mangler (Leonard).

I can't quite pick up Thomas Pendrell in the 1881 Census, unless he is the Thomas Pendril who was a waterman born in Shadwell, Middlesex in 1856. I'll have to go away and work on that.

Thank you very much for your information, much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Lenore

Linda L

Lightbulb Leonard Pendrill

Hello Lenore

Are you descended from Leonard Pendrill? If so: have you followed your line back to the Penderel/Pendrill/Pendrell brothers who saved King Charles II from Oliver Cromwell? I don't think that I can definitely link your Leonard to the Pendrill families, but there was a Leonard Pendrill whose father was born in 1790 - too early I know, but he may have had a son with the same name.

Linda

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Linda L View Post
    Hello Lenore

Are you descended from Leonard Pendrill? If so: have you followed your line back to the Penderel/Pendrill/Pendrell brothers who saved King Charles II from Oliver Cromwell? I don't think that I can definitely link your Leonard to the Pendrill families, but there was a Leonard Pendrill whose father was born in 1790 - too early I know, but he may have had a son with the same name.

Linda
    Hi Linda,

Unfortunately, no - my cousin is related to the Benbows, so the Pendrill is only by marriage. I don't suppose you'e worked out who the young Thomas Pendrill was, because we haven't?

Best wishes,

Lenore

David Pendrill

Hi Lenore,
    I have looked through my family tree and found Leonard and Jane Pendrill, as you say they had a daughter Emily Jane B Dec 1859 D, 4 Q 1942 i can see no marriage and no issues. There was also ab boy Charles Leonard, B, 21.9.1861, D, 5.10.1862, It is strange how the name has been changed from Pendrill to Pendrell, this has happend a lot over the years, but i have found that some scribes have looped the I witch looks like an E there fore Pendrell cames out. If you need anymore info please contact me, you can also use my email [email protected] Regards Dave Pendrill.

David Pendrill

Hi Linda
    Leonard is indeed related to the Pendrill Family of Boscobel i have his him in my family tree, if you need any info please feel free to contact me.
    Dave Pendrill