apick1

Default 1891 Lookup Please - Pickering

Hello

I'm trying to find a lead to my grandfathers relations.

He was George Pickering Born 1886/7 Died 1950.

I think he is shown in the 1901 Census as a Servant working in Haydon and born in Hexham. But this is only as age seems about right. But the census info didn't list any relations.

The family is from Slaley and that is where his grave is located.

Any info would be appreciated as I'm stuck !

Tony

willow

Do you have a copy of your Grandfathers marriage certificate?
    This should give his Fathers name & occupation.
    Can then try & find them on the 1891/1901 censuses.

Sue

apick1

Hi Sue, Thanks for the Reply.

Unfortunately I have very little supporting documentation.

I had a Mother who could see no "need for keeping such rubbish".

I'm asking relatives to look to see what they have.

Here's hoping.

Annie

Do you know the names of any siblings and possible ages?
    There is a George Pickering on the 1891 born Slaley living in Newbrough
    Annie Pickering abt 1885 Slaley, Northumberland, England Daughter Newbrough Northumberland
    Elizabeth Pickering abt 1862 Slaley, Northumberland, England Wife Newbrough Northumberland
    George Pickering abt 1887 Slaley, Northumberland, England Son Newbrough Northumberland
    Jane Pickering abt 1889 Slaley, Northumberland, England Daughter Newbrough Northumberland
    Robert Pickering abt 1861 Slaley, Northumberland, England Head Newbrough Northumberland
    RG12; Piece: 4249; Folio 132; Page 20
    Last edited by Annie; 05-12-2006 at 12:16 AM. Reason: repeating bug

Wirral

Hi Tony

If you & your relatives do not have the original marriage certificate for your grandfather, then you can order one over the net from the General Register Office (GRO). Do you know your grandmother's full name? That will help to find the marriage. There is a partial index of births, marriages & deaths on the FreeBMD site, but it only goes up to about 1912 at the moment. The full GRO index is available on sites such as ancestry. Once you have the details (which will look something like "George Pickering, Hexham registration district, June quarter 1909, volume 3b, page 123", then you can order a copy of the certificate online from the GRO. They cost £7 each & yo9u can also order birth & death certificates in the same way.
    From about 1911 the surname of the marriage partner is included in the marriage index & the maiden name of the mother in the birth one.
    Last edited by Guest; 29-09-2007 at 4:53 PM.

apick1

Annie

Thanks for your information I think you've solved it.

The dates match my gradfathers birth.

In the 1901 census my grandfather George is working in Haydon aged 14.
    At the same time Robert & family are living in Chollerton.

However in 1881 six years before George was born his Robert is also living in Haydon.

It could be that robert was working at a friend of his fathers or relative from when they lived at Haydon.

Also there is a grave stone in Slaley church for Robert Pickering D1932 aged 71 (B1861) Elizabeth Pickering D1937 aged 76 (B1861) which are the ones you mention. Also on the same stone are daughters Annie & May Isabel (dates have gone).

My grandfathers grave is in the same graveyard.

I've never managed to link the two graves.

I'll keep digging to confirm the link but I think it nearly thre.

thanks

Tony

apick1

Thanks for the information on how to get the marriage and death certificates.

I always thought the information in the lists was a bit useless as it gave only one name and you could tell if it was the right person.

However you've explained it pretty well.

I now both of my granparents names (George & Meggie Pickering) and should be able to get the documents.

Thanks for your help

Tony