Thread: Discharge 1900

erica bauman

Default Discharge 1900

Can anyone help with the reason for discharge from the Royal Engineers in 1900? My Grandfathers statement of services states " Discharge, His service being no longer required under para 1805 [xxv] 2 R 99. 9-11-00 " [ He had been awarded 14 days Jhl on the 1-11-00] He re enlisted in 1914 under an assumed name. But I am really curious about the reason for his leaving the army the first time. Thankyou

neil1821

Hi,
    I've seen that sort of wording before describing dishonourable discharges, ie perhaps dismissed after a court martial for some offence or other.

[ He had been awarded 14 days Jhl on the 1-11-00]
    Could this not read 14 days Jail? (14 days in the cells would also tie in with a dishonourable discharge).

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. If the service record you have is in electronic form, you can always email it to me and I'll gladly see if I can glean any more from it.

Neil

erica bauman

Default Discharge 1900

Hi Neil, Thankyou for your comments. Unfortunatly my information is a photo copy of his Statement of Services, paper not "electronic." It says Awarded 14 days J.H.L by C.O [Ifirst thought it was CG ] Definately initials not a word. Followed by undergoing sentance 1 till 9.11 So he was definately in jail!! I was hoping that the "under para 1605[xxv]2 R 99 Would give me some clue as to what he had done! He was attested as a "boy" on 24 10 99 [aged 15] and promoted to trumpeter 19.4.1900. What could he have done for such a "severe" punishment? Thankyou Erica

Terry Reeves

Erica

Unless it stated the actual charge in his documents I'm afraid your not going to find out. The paragraph reference is to Queens Regulations for that period, which would have read "Boy whom, owing to misconduct, it is desirable to discharge".

Terry Reeves
    Last edited by Terry Reeves; 18-09-2006 at 6:31 PM.

neil1821

Just out of interest Erica, what was his name?
    And was he in a theatre of war at the time (ie South Africa?)

I think records of courts martial do exist at Kew, but a professional researcher could tell you more.

Neil
    Last edited by neil1821; 18-09-2006 at 8:22 PM.

erica bauman

Default discharge 1900

Thankyou Terry and Neil ,My Grandfathers name was William rathbone. If I have read this correctly he was in Aldershot from 24-10-99, until he arrived in Curragh, 2-5-00. Which I think is in Ireland. I presume this is where he was when he was discharged. I never thought of a "court martial" but that does sound like the obvious place to look! I really appreciate your help!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by neil1821
    I think records of courts martial do exist at Kew,
    This TNA research guide covers Courts Martial for the period of interest
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...?sLeafletID=28

Geoffers

erica bauman

Default discharge 1900

Thankyou Geoffers,[Also Neil and Terry] I really appreciate your time in helping me. This forum is wonderful, with people like you taking your time to share your expertise with us less "knowledgable" types!! I will certainly see if I can find out if he was court martialed. I still think he must have done something dreadful if they could not have sorted him out with" peeling potatoes" !! or some kind of physical labour,since he was only just 16! He served in India during World war 1 And was in the NAAFI during the 2nd. I have yet to find any information on these .But as far as I know he "behaved", so he must have learnt his lesson.