Thread: curragh camp

jackie hayes

Red face curragh camp

Hi can any one help,
    my husbands gt grandfather joined the 4th Royal Dragoon after 12 months training at Canterbury and Shorncliffe he waS drafted ou tto India In 1898 he went missing for 6 months ( he fell off his horse on the KHYBER PASS but was looked after by locals), he was then sent to SA. He was discharged with" excellent credentials" from Curragh Camp in 1902. In 1914 he re enlisted and was amongst the first expedition to Belguim, he was then transfered to Royal Flying Corp.
    This is all the info i have on his military history,he was born and lived in Widnes, his parents came from Ireland but dont no where abouts i have no idea of his rank or number, the above info comes from his obit in the local paper. his name was FRANCIS MCCARTHY d.o.b 16.12.1874.

jackie hayes

Smile curragh camp

Thanks for the link!
    does this mean the only way of finding any info is to go to the National Archives, or is there another way?
    Jackie

Geoffers

Records are held at TNA, so it's either a case of going there, knowing someone who can look on your behalf, or paying a professional researcher to look for the records on your behalf.

Geoffers

Terry Reeves

Jackie

I wonder if this is your man here:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...resultcount=20

You can download the actual medal index card for a small charge. This in itself is only a start, but if it is him, it gives the all important regimental numbers. If you need any help interpreting the details on the card, post them on here, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Terry Reeves
    Last edited by Terry Reeves; 12-10-2006 at 5:10 PM.

jackie hayes

Default Curragh Camp

Hi I have downloaded those details but im afraid im none the wiser, im having trouble putting them on this link ill try again thanks
    jackie