Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At last

irisrose

Default At last

I have managed to get my Great Grandparents marraige certificate it has my Great Grandfather as Henry Flook not George Henry as on the 1901 census and my Grandfathers birth certificate I know that it is the right certificate as the wifes name is correct. Can some kind person help me find Henry Flook born in 1875 Father whos name was John Flook. Thank you

Mutley

Hi
    There are quite a lot of Henry and George Flooks.
    Where did they come from? What area should we be looking in?
    Mutley

irisrose

Henry ( George) Flook born 1875 was a Engine Driver at the time of his marraige and a General Labourer on the 1901 census his Father John was a Farm Labourer this information is from his marraige certificate he was married in Newport Monmouthshire and gave this as his place of birth on the 1901 census but I believe that it cannot be true as there are no records of a Henry born in Newport as far as I can make out.

jeeb

Default Look at these censuses.

Hi Irisrose,
    I suggest you look at the information on these censuses. I think there is a possibility it is your family. The father is John Flook and he has a son George born in about 1873. It is the same family but they move about a lot.

RG11/1128 Folio 61 Page12
    Subdeanary, Chichester, Sussex
    John Flook 38 Railway Lab born Bristol

RG12/3153 Folio 138 Page 35
    Barton on Irwell Lancs
    John Flook 49 General Lab born Bristol

RG13/1620 Folio 16 page 24
    Leyton St Mary Essex
    John Flook 60 Engineer's lab born Bristol
    (George has left)

This maybe the wrong family but there are strong possibilities.

Cheers Jeremy

irisrose

Thanks but I have only got John as a Farm Labourer on the marraige certificate I cant help wondering why Henry (George ) Flook would be an Engine Driver in 1897 and later in 1901 just a General Labourer I was was wondering if Engine Driver could nean that he drove a Tractor rather than a Train. Any ideas would be welcome I have Henry as being born in 1875.
    Thanks.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by irisrose
    I have only got John as a Farm Labourer on the marraige certificate I cant help wondering why Henry (George ) Flook would be an Engine Driver in 1897 and later in 1901 just a General Labourer I was was wondering if Engine Driver could nean that he drove a Tractor rather than a Train.
    There are lots of different types of engines, don't just think of locomotives. There are static engines in factories, traction engines and also engines used to pull ploughs along fields.

How old is (George) Henry Flook in the 1901 census and how old is he in his marriage certificate? Are there any Flook witnesses to the marriage?
    Where was (George) Henry living in 1901? - is this close to Newport or has he migrated? Are there any other Flooks on the 1901 census born in the same place?

Have you tried variant spellings in searching the GRO index for his birth - e.g.
    Fluck?

Have you considered the GRO entry recording a George Henry Flook born Bristol district in 1875?

Geoffers

jeeb

Default Tractors

Quote Originally Posted by irisrose
    Thanks but I have only got John as a Farm Labourer on the marraige certificate I cant help wondering why Henry (George ) Flook would be an Engine Driver in 1897 and later in 1901 just a General Labourer I was was wondering if Engine Driver could nean that he drove a Tractor rather than a Train. Any ideas would be welcome I have Henry as being born in 1875.
    Thanks.
    Hi Irisrose.
    Well he certainly wouldn't be driving a tractor in 1897 because they weren't invented until around the time of WW1. Steam engines were used to a limited extend in agricuture from about 1850 but these would generally have been stationary machines used in barns etc. The word 'driver' suggests something thats moves to me. I think the fact John Flook (possible father) is a railway labourer in 1881 suggests a connection with locomotives, notice on the censuses he moves about a lot with various jobs:- Railway labourer 1881, General Labourer 1891 & Engineers Labourer 1901. He could easily have been a farm labourer in 1897!
    Cheers Jeremy

jeeb

Default Engine driver

Hi,
    Had you noticed the occupation of Charles Williams living next door to George H Flook in 1901 is given as 'Stationary Engine Driver' & James Boden a few doors away is given as Engine Driver at Iron works

Jeremy
    Last edited by jeeb; 26-11-2006 at 12:43 PM.

irisrose

Thanks everyone the details so far
    1901 Wales Census
    about George H Flook
    Name: George H Flook
    Age in 1901: 26
    Estimated birth year: abt 1875
    Relation: Head
    Spouse's name: Sarah A
    Where born: Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales

Civil parish: Newport
    Ecclesiastical parish: St Maindee John
    County/Island: Monmouthshire

Street address: View image
    Condition as to marriage: View image
    Education: View image
    Employment status: View image

Registration district: Newport (Monmouthshire)
    Sub-registration district: Newport
    ED, institution, or vessel: 56
    Neighbors: View others on page
    Household schedule number: 100
    Household Members: Name Age
    George H Flook 26
    James R Flook 7 months
    Samuel G Flook 2
    Sarah A Flook 24

From my Grandfathers James Redvers birth certificate it was George Henry Flook General Labourer and Sarah A Flook
    Their marraige certificate has him as Henry Flook Engine Driver living at 15 Heury St Newport with Father John Flook Farm Labourer it took place at St Marks Church Newport Monmouthshire on Sept 18th 1897.
    Wife Sarah Ann Evans also address as 15 Heury St Father Samuel Evans Hotel Keeper so I think that it is likely that 15 Heury St was an Hotel maybe Samuel was running it as his Father ran The Colliers Arms in Abertillery.
    Abertillery is where Sarah cane from.
    Witnessed by Rosetta Hemmings and John Smith
    Still not sure of Henry ( George ) birth place as I do not think that it is Newport as it says on the 1901 census not sure about anything at the moment as I seem to be going round in circles.

There is no such street as Heury St in Newport. The place you are writing about is HENRY St. This is in the area known as Shaftesbury - If I stand on tiptoe in my back bedroom I can see where Henry Street was.

Number 17 was not a hotel, what you need to remember is that almost everyone either had their very large family living with them or they had lodgers or boarders who would pay money to live there and this helped to pay things like rent and stuff.
    In 1901 Hugh Hawkins, his wife sarah, their three children and Hugh's uncle were living at 17 henry St. While George Flook and his family have moved across the river and are living in Boundary Road.

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast