Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    siobhan

Unhappy stephen mcclay/clason/clayson

help!!!!!

Anybody got any info regarding stephen and poss bro william mcclay/clason/clayson? I posted this in April no luck.

get2BJ

Hello Siobhan,

Whereabouts in Scotland were they born/living and what is the time frame? With a little more info somebody may be able to help. The index for the Scottish census of 1841 is on Ancestry, so post again - you never know who's looking!

Best wishes

Brenda

siobhan

Hi Brenda, Don't know where they were born. Date 16 something, so 19th Century census' no use.

Siobhan

joette

I would check on Scotlands People on their OPR Births.It's free to search only have to pay to order image-although coming online"Soon".
    I would not imagine there are many Clason/Clayson(sounds more Irish) & usually names are in same area/s.

siobhan

Thumbs up

Thanks Joette. What's OPR?
    Siobhan

joette

Old Parish records/Registers.They are the records of the Church(usually Church Of Scotland) for the area or Parish.However if you were of another religious persuasion there was still a duty to record the Births within the Parish.How this was in practise is anybody's guess.
    The Records vary from brilliant(names/occupation of parents,date of birth sometimes names of Grandparents)to poor(brought before the congregation a child of John Smith-no Mother mentioned,no name of child or even which sex).
    There are some Parishes(St Quivock in Ayr for example) who also have Death Registers which make fascinating reading.They can be ordered on film from your local LDS Family History or they may even have the Parish you are looking for for a small fee.

siobhan

Smile

Thanks for that Joette.

Siobhan

Davran

Hi Siobhan

Have you tried posting on https://talkingscot.com/forum/index.p...7f0917e13e6fc1? It's a forum dedicated to Scottish genealogy and there are some very helpful people on there, too.

siobhan

Thumbs up

Hello Davran

Thanks for that. I have just seen about Talkingscot in Your Family Tree mag, but am grateful for the suggestion.

Siobhan

bev160332

Stephen Clason According to the Clason Memorial (William B. Lapham), legend has it that Stephen was originally called Stephen McClay, and, that he and his brother William left Scotland to flee Cromwell's government. They went first to France where the name was changed to Clayson (which is a direct translation of McClay, by the way). Legend has it that Stephen came to the colonies, while William went to England. He was born on 11 November 1633. He married Elizabeth Periment on 11 November 1654 at Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA. Stephen Clason died on 15 March 1699 at Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA, at age 65.
    He's My 1st anscestor to enter the USA on my mother's, mother's side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast