Thread: Freegards

CConnor

Default Freegards

I have a bit of a marriage conundrum. On the birth certificate of my g-g-grandmother Rosa Annie Freegard born in 1871 her father is Thomas Freegard and mother’s name is Emma Freegard formerly Buckley. But the only Emma I can find is an Emma Buckland marrying Thomas Freegard in 1865; and to complicate matters more there is a Emma Buckland and Emma Buckley in the 1861 census of Melksham (where the family is from) But I can’t find either afterwards…. And the only death of an Emma Freegard I have been able to find isn’t until 1914 aged 67!
    If anyone has any suggests of how to figure out which Emma is really Rosa’s mother they would be greatly appreciated I have looked at some of the ancestry family trees but the data seems to be based on the 1881 census which gives a later suggested date of birth (about 1853) for Emma Freegard than the 1871, 91 and 1901 census (about 1846).

Are there any siblings of Rosa Annie Freegard? Their birth certificates may confirm their mother's surname.
    Do you have the marriage certificate of Thomas Freegard and Emma? This will give Emma's father's name, so you may be able to match her in earlier censuses.
    Andrew

Barbara Griffiths

Have you tried the Freegard One-Name Study? You can find the contact details from the Register at one-name.org. One-Namers collect all information on their registered name so, although Tony probably won't have traced Emma's own family, he might have sufficient on the Freegards to help you identify her.

Barbara

CConnor

Default freegards

they are both excellent suggestions thank you i am convinced Thomas only married one Emma checking other siblings birth certificates is one option; the image of the index for their marriage is definately Buckland but Rosa's birth certifcate is equally clear as showing the mother's name as Buckley it would be easier to fathom out if there hadn't have been one of each in the same small market town!

i shall also look into the One Name Guild that too looks like it could be quite useful

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Freegards

Hi

Found Thomas & Emma in 1881 she is 28 (1853), in 1871 25 (1846) as you say keeps changing her age.

In 1871 I found a Emma Buckland born 1849 as a boarder Walcot St Swithin Bath Somerset.

Emma Buckland aged 12 born 1849 visitor living in Chippenham with
    William Buckland 50
    Ann 60
    Eliza 20
    Charles 17

Emma Buckly daughter in law born 1844
    Thomas Wiltshire
    Ann Wiltshire

Emma Buckland born 1849 parents
    Charles 32
    Eliza 34
    Matilda 8
    Emma 4

Emma Buckley born 1844 daughter in law
    Thomas Wiltshire 29
    Ann Wiltshire 27

No trace of Emma Buckland in 1881, the only thing I can think of is to get the marriage of Emma Buckland Sept qtr 1865 vol 5a page 183 in Melksham to Thomas Freegard and see who the father is. A big possibility is Ann never married the father of Emma. All the children by Frederick were christened (late), could not find certificate refs.

Will keep looking for you.

Irene

Sorry not Frederick (not by Frederick)
    Irene

Found Christening refs on freebmd, all but Emily J, there was one for Emily Jane Buckland but not in Melksham 1864.

Irene

CConnor

Default Freegards

i have taken a look at the census returns you suggested, many thanks looking at it Emma Buckland would only have been 16 in 1865 where as Emma Buckley would have been approximately 19 years of age, a more likely age for marriage perhaps? especially as there is an Emma Buckland working in Bath in the 1871 census and she gives the same year of birth as the Emma Buckland in the previous; could the transcript of the marriage index be a transcription error? i have also found on the BMD the index for both Emma's births Emma Buckly Dec 1843 and Emma Buckland Dec 1848. they seem to fit fairly well with the census ages!
    Last edited by CConnor; 20-11-2006 at 8:22 PM.

David Hankey

Default Freegards

I know this message is somewhat way after the original topic was started but I have the Freegard family in my tree and would like to suggest the following:-

Thomas Freegard did marry Emma Buckland in 1865 (Melksham 5a 183) despite Emma only being 16 b 1848 (Melksham 8 369) unless, of course, there has been a transcription error. It could also be possible that she had a daughter, Emily Jane, born out of wedlock in 1863 (Melksham 5a 101).

With regard to the 1881 Census Thomas & Emma Freegard are listed as living in Semington Lane, Melksham with Emily shown as 18 a Cocoa Warper along with other siblings Fredrick, Rosa, Florence, Fanny & Henerietta.

Rosa Annie married married Thomas Francis Coombes in 1892 (Melksham 5a 201)

I hope this helps rather than hinders.

David