Thread: Missing in 1891

erica bauman

Default Missing in 1891

I am looking for Daniel Frith in the 1891 census. He was born in 1882 in Lutterworth.I have found his family. His mother [ Georgina] was a widow living in Lutterworth with 2 of her children [Agnes & William] Another child Hannah [ born 1881]was also missing. The eldest son was with his grandparents, But I have been unable to find Daniel. Any help would be appreciated.

Mutley

Dear Erica,
    There was a Hannah Frith living as a visitor at 15 Coventry Road, Market Harborough, Leicester. She was born in Lutterworth in 1880.
    Household members were:
    Hannah Feith 11
    Annie M Thompson 25
    Earnest W Thompson 17
    Elizabeth E Thompson 15
    Frederick W Thompson 5
    Grace M Thompson 21
    John Teas Thompson 19
    John Walter Thompson 51
    Lucy Ann Thompson 1
    Mary E Thompson 52
    Tilly Edith Thompson 3
    You can see she was wrongly transcribed as FEITH.
    1891 Class: RG12; Piece: 2491; Folio 68; Page 3

Still looking for Daniel, Regards Mutley

erica bauman

Hi, Mutley. Thank you for your search and finding Daniel's sister. What a shame she wasn't listed as a neice or grand daughter!! Well, It would be great to have one of those wonderful "eureka" moments! I expect Daniel was also "farmed out", Glad to see you are warm again! Best wishes Erica

Mutley

Hello,
    I still can't find Daniel, even tried the deaths, no luck. Went through the 11 pages of the village of Lutterworth in 1891 and no sign of him. There are not so many Daniels but searching on just Daniel b. 1882 in the Leicester area still does not bring him up.
    It is an easy name for the transcribers to 'muck up', though I've tried various similar names he is still not showing.
    We plod on.................... and it has started to rain again here

Regards Mutley

erica bauman

Hi, Mutley. Would you like to trade your rain for some snow? [We don't have much, but I am willing to "share"!] I really appreciate you looking for Daniel. His father died in 1888, So I wondered whether his mother couldn't cope with the younger children, [guess and assumption] Could he have been in a hospital? Where else could a 9 year old be? Assuming that he is even mentioned in the census!! I do know that in 1901 he was in the army in Aldershot aged 22, Three years older than his birth certificate. Maybe he was under age when he joined .
    Best wishes Erica

Mutley

Default Daniel

Errr, No thanks, maybe I'll keep my rain for a while, at least it is warm rain!
    I did come across a hospital in the area with sick children but couldn't see him on it.
    My uncle lied about his age to join up so maybe Daniel did too but on the census I would assume an adult filled it in for him so it is more likely to be right (as far as the census returns are 'right')
    Ancestry is free to Nov. 3rd maybe it is just worth having a go at any variation you can think of and all other areas. I am working this weekend but if I don't see you on this thread early next week I will have another look.
    Good Hunting
    Mutley

erica bauman

Hi, Mutley. Greetings, Our scenery today looks like a perfect Christmas card! [Am I still allowed to use that word??] I followed your advice and spent most of the day looking for Daniel. I have now concluded that he is not mentioned in the census! I tried everything from Freith to Frill and Faith to Faill, Even sound alikes as in Thrift and Thriff, I even tried Leiff, and lots more, I did try combinatios of letters that I had no idea were even used names! I checked his certificates and his age is different again in his marriage certificate it says he was 27! [In 1901 when he was 19] I began to doubt that it was all for the same Daniel, But family records have it as correct. Now I'm curious as to how old he was when he died! I expect his army records would be interesting too if I could access them. Thankyou once again for taking time to assist me. I really do appreciate your help. Erica