tribi

Default Berkshire Regiments

In the search for a missing ancestor, I have come across a 7 year gap between the birth of his children, 2nd child born 1808, 3rd 1815 and wondered why ? of course it could be perfectly natural.
    I then realised that the Napoleonic wars were being fought during those years. Could he have enlisted ?
    Thomas Wicks died in 1820 aged 42 two years after the birth of 4th child in 1818. War wounds ?
    Born somewhere ca. 1778 lived in Cookham, Berkshire.
    If he signed up to fight does anyone know perhaps which Regiments he would have joined ? Also are there any lists online of Soldiers who served and fought in these wars.

Thanks

suzzie

the wardrobe . org

You may find the above interesting.
    They recently helped me with one of my ancestors and went beyond what might have been reasonably expected. Good luck.

tribi

Default Militia

Thanks Suzzie, will take a look.

Tribi

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by tribi
    In the search for a missing ancestor, I have come across a 7 year gap between the birth of his children, 2nd child born 1808, 3rd 1815 and wondered why ? of course it could be perfectly natural.
    It could be army or Navy service, in which case he is likely to turn up on a search of WO or ADM records on TNA's catalogue. Equally, he could have been in prison, workhouse or just moved.

Where both 2nd and 3rd children baptised in the same parish? Have you searched both baptism and burial records for this period in case unamed children were buried? If you have only searched the IGI, consder that their records may well be incomplete, or poorly transcribed.

Geoffers

tribi

Default Wicks

Hi Geoffers,
    Sorry for late reply in saying thanks, I forget where I have posted what.
    Anyway thanks.
    All children were born in same Parish, and have just found out that he was a labourer, so I think I can forget the Navy/army theory. Maybe it was prison.
    No other children buried in Parish or nearby Parishes.
    Will keep looking and hoping.

Tribi

jeeb

Default Wicks

Hi Tribi,
    Have you considered a second marriage, if he married two wives with the same christian name it can be confusing. A suggestion is look for a burial & marriage in the 7 year gap.

Jeremy

tribi

Default Wicks

Jeremy sorry just seen your reply.Thankyou, a second marriage is something I had not considered but well worth looking into.

Tribi