Redvers

Wink Sortall, Oxfordshire ??

According to the 1881 Census for Kensington, I have one Emmanuel WIGGINS, age 39 with a stated place of birth Sortall, Oxford.
    None of my efforts (GenUKI, Google, etc) turns up such a parish ---even in neighbouring counties.
    Any idea what/where this place may be? My best guess would be Asthall,OXF since there are a good few Wiggins originating there in the right timeframe, but it's quite a leap of faith; even allowing for a thick country accent or a part-deaf ennumerator how do you get from "Sort -all" to "Ast-hall"??
    All detection work welcomed. Thanks.
    Red in stormy SW France

Wirral

Leap away - you are right!
    1861 census RG9/908 folio 9 page 13, Asthally [? - this was how it was written by the enumerator in the street name], Asthall, Oxfordshire
    Rachel Wiggins head Unm, 75, Oxon, Leafield [yes, it did say she was unmarried!]
    Emanuel Wiggins grandson Unm 20 Agriculural labourer, Oxon, Asthall

PS Is that bad weather on the way to us in the UK?

Reputation beyond repute

I think it is Asthall - he seems to appear in a couple of other censuses, including the 1841 when he is actually in Asthall shown as 8 months old; his mother was Rachel WIGGINS, widow ('widow' shown in occupation column and crossed out!)

Geoffers

If the enumerator couldn't read Emmanuel Wiggins handwriting, he may have mistaken the capital 'B' for 'S' and possibly the second 's' wasn't very clear. so maybe the parish was 'Boarstall'??

Have you tried looking for him in another census to see if it is more clearly recorded?

Geoffers

PS - Forget the above, the 1861 census has him born and living in Asthall.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    he is actually in Asthall shown as 8 months old; his mother was Rachel WIGGINS
    Maybe a little on the old side at 59 to be having a child, Peter? Emanuel is living with his grandmother Rachel in the 1841, 1851 & 1861 censuses. He is probably the son of Emanuel & Sarah, who are also living with him in 1841. In 1841, next door are Edward & Mary + children Emily, Elizabeth, Daniel & Matilda. Matilda is possibly Edward's sister, rather than his child. In 1851, Rachel is the mother in law to William Saunders (wife Matilda) & Emanuel is described as William Saunders' niece! His age is written in the male column.
    Asthally appears to be a village in the parish of Asthall.
    Last edited by Wirral; 07-10-2006 at 6:06 PM. Reason: Revised parents

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral
    Asthally appears to be a village in the parish of Asthall.
    This appears as Asthall Leigh on modern maps, it's about a mile east of Asthall.

The spelling Asthally (the end bit pronounced 'lie') is probably the result of the local accent.

As a useless piece of trivia, Asthall Leigh is where the actor Bob Arnold (he played Tom Forrest in 'The Archers') was born and lived as a youngster.

Geoffers

Redvers

Default Sortall-Asthall. Belated Thanks

Belated, but sincere, thanks to Wirral, Peter and Geoffers for your input. You have happily confirmed my earlier thoughts.
    Sorry for the delay but that stormy weather I announced (hope it didn't get you !!) resulted in a 3-day total power outage, and ever since very intermittent Internet access. This last I dunno whether to blame on EDF ( Bless 'em) or AOL ---- but what the heck, Brit Rail blames the "wrong type of leaves" or snowflakes for its disasters !!!

Red