Reputation beyond repute

Default Excel to HTML Table

I must be missing something obvious. I've been trying to convert some data in Excel to HTML. But I just want the basic HTML table without all the formatting noise that Excel generates.

I found this
    https://www.jafsoft.com/asctotab/
    which does the job using a CSV file produced by Excel.

Is there a slicker way to achieve the same end? Can Excel be persuaded to save as a plain simple HTML table?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey

Is there a slicker way to achieve the same end? Can Excel be persuaded to save as a plain simple HTML table?
    Peter
    Have you tried Save As and selecting HTML?
    Then open the saved document in your web editor, ie FrontPage and add any text you want before or after the spreadsheet cells.
    Have a try to see you this will work with Excel, as I have only OpenOffice here to test it on and it worked for me.
    Neil

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson
    Have you tried Save As and selecting HTML?
    Well yes, but it's Excel that produces just what I don't want - a ton of formatting noise.

For example Excel generates:-

<tr height=17 style='height:12.75pt'>
    <td height=17 class=xl1514632 style='height:12.75pt'>First</td>
    <td class=xl1514632>Second</td>
    <td class=xl1514632>Third</td>
    <td class=xl1514632>Fourth</td>
    <td class=xl1514632>Fifth</td>
    </tr>

What I want is this -

<TR>
    <TD>First</TD>
    <TD>Second</TD>
    <TD>Third</TD>
    <TD>Fourth</TD>
    <TD>Fifth</TD>
    </TR>

Never mind, I've found a system that works reasonably painlessly. I'll stick with that if there's nothing better.

Hi Peter
    Now I see what you mean about noise, it was the same when I first started out doing web pages using Word! of all things.
    What happens if you cut and paste the data, I can't remember if it is all messed up or just workable?
    Neil

Reputation beyond repute

On relection, I think I'll stick with the system I found -

1. Export as CSV.

2. Run it through the ASCTOTAB program I found.

Nice simple unformatted table ready for use with the stylesheet of one's choice!

I suppose I was really hoping that someone would tell me that a different 'Save As' option would do the trick...

Thanks for thinking abouit it.

Hi Peter
    Cheers for the ASCTOTAB advise, found the website and will play with it later.
    Neil

The way I did it was,

Opened the excel file, Opened a new Word Doc, a put a title on it, set the page size and justification etc.

Back to the excel spreadsheet, copied the text I wanted and pasted it into word.

save the word doc as htm. Bingo!

Rgds
    Mike

Peter
    I found an ASCTOTAB program which must be the same one as you found as no matter how I searched for one all the links went to jafsoft.com
    I had a little test play with it and it seems to work a treat, none of the chutter that Excel and word produce, wish I found it earlier.
    Now I will be hammering the speadsheets out into web pages once I have sort out the data.
    Thanks again
    Neil