Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Copper

My husband asked me why a couple travelled from Devon to Bethnal Green to get married. He said that although there was no fee for the marriage there would have been travelling expenses. I couldn't answer that question.

I think that my ancestors married in Bethnal Green rather than Marylebone which is where they lived because no questions were asked. At that time they had four children and even worse the bride had an illegitimate son. What I mean is that Charlotte Weedon had an illegitimate son, John, before meeting and living with Thomas Cursue.

I have no idea how they would have heard about St James the Great in Bethnal Green.
    Last edited by Copper; 18-09-2006 at 3:09 PM.

Ed Bradford

I would imagine that word of St. James the Great in Bethnal Green spread through the community by word of mouth and it probably just took a matter of a few months to reach the far ends of Middlesex.
    ..............Ed

Victoria

It seems that the reputation of St James the Great and the vicar who did not ask too many questions may have reached Guildford Surrey. I think I have the answer to one of my little family mysteries. In this case there was no lack of money, but a wealthy old widower(80) marrying his young housekeeper(34) who already had one child who bore his name and was expecting a second at the time of the marriage.

Cheers,
    Victoria

ElaineMaul

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bradford
    I would imagine that word of St. James the Great in Bethnal Green spread through the community by word of mouth and it probably just took a matter of a few months to reach the far ends of Middlesex.
    ..............Ed
    Hi Ed, You may be so very right there! Am I alone in tending to think that communications, both travel wise and via written material, was almost non-existant ...... and yet I doubt this is really so.
    But when people ask what my wildest wish is .......... it's for a genuine time-travelling machine so I could go back and really find out why some of these things happened!! How I envy anyone who has ancestors that wrote things down (letters, diaries) ...... and kept them!!
    Elaine

Burrow Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Copper
    My husband asked me why a couple travelled from Devon to Bethnal Green to get married. He said that although there was no fee for the marriage there would have been travelling expenses. I couldn't answer that question.

I have no idea why my couple travelled from Devon to Bethnal Green. After the marriage they travelled back to Devon because every one of their 12 children was born in Devon. The wife moved back to London after her husband died in 1875 - she and her younger children are living in London (as boarders) in the 1881 census. The older kids stayed in Devon.

BD

Ed Bradford

And here I thought that getting married in Bethnal Green was particular to just my family. It seems that the Vicar's offer was taken up by many folks. I'm glad that Copper had the answer.

Elaine, if you ever get your wish of a time machine please let me know. I have a couple hundred questions that I too would like to ask my ancestors. I'm like you, my ancestors walked this earth and didn't leave many footprints.

.............Ed
    Last edited by Ed Bradford; 21-09-2006 at 6:27 PM.

ElaineMaul

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bradford
    Elaine, if you ever get your wish of a time machine please let me know. I have a couple hundred questions that I too would like to ask my ancestors. I'm like you, my ancestors walked this earth and didn't leave many footprints.

.............Ed
    Will do! Getting that wish really would be winning the lottery .....
    Elaine

Mutley

"The parish of Stepney may be considered a refuge for the destitute. All persons born on the "high seas" can claim support, when in distress, from the parish of Stepney. In the making of this law, we presume that the legislature considered the fact that more seafaring men were spliced at Stepney church than at any other"
    Is Stepney near Bethnal Green? Are your family seafaring?
    There is a lot about Bethnal Green and surrounding areas on this link.
    https://www.mernick.co.uk/thhol/subjects.html#marriage
    Might help

Mythology

"Is Stepney near Bethnal Green?"
    Very much so.
    I am surprised, though, that so many of you actually have *marriages* at Bethnal Green rather than people who *say* they were married at Bethnal Green for whom no marriage can be found.
    From bits and pieces that I've done for other people, it especially seems to be the case that vast numbers of people who reinvented themselves en route to Australia later state that they were married at Bethnal Green after shacking up together on the boat.
    My paternal grandma, having been "brung up proper" further out in respectable Romford, used the expression "married in Bethnal Green", with a wink, to imply that the couple being talked about were not really married, and, in our family at least, the definition of a Bethnal Green marriage was that the girl stayed the night instead of going home.

Copper

I do indeed have a copy of the marriage certificate for my Thomas Cursue and Charlotte Weedon in 1852. They gave addresses in Bethnal Green, so I checked the streets out in the 1851 census and surprise surprise no family member there not even a distant relative.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast