Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Jebbett Leicester

I am looking for John Jebbett b 1824 d 1900 in Leicester
    and Abraham Jebbett, his son b 1865 d 1910 Leicester.

I have them on the 1871 census with Sarah Jane, John's wife, Edward Smith b 1861 , Mary Maria b 1867 living in Pykes Yard The Newarke Leicester.

In 1881 Sarah, Edward & Mary are living in Lexham st with her sister and John & Abraham are still in Pykes Yard. I have censuses for Sarah & Edward in 1891 & 1901. However I can't find John & Abraham. And nothing of Mary either. Ive tried a variety of spellings but can't come up with anything.
    In fact there was another daughter Josephine Law who came to light on the 1891 census with her brother Edward in Kent. I never found her with her parents at any time, but have managed to trace her and her death.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Maggie

Default Abraham Jebbett

Can anyone advise please?

I have found, purely by chance, that Abraham went to the uSA in 1907 sailing from Liverpool ( or was it Glasgow???)on the ASTORIA , destination San Francisco. This is definitely 'my' Abraham.

However he died in Leicester in 1910 so is there anyway I can find out when he returned? The address from which he was buried was 21 Little Holme St Leicester.

I was never able to locate him on the 1891 & 1901 censuses, now I see why.

On the immigration papers he is down as married. Can't find a marriage in England. However it seems he lived in Pretoria Sth Africa. How can I find out more info about this?

Interestingly, his aunt Mary O'Shea,emigrated to the USA in 1870, a son was born there and she was back in Leicester on the 1881 census as a widow. So when did she return.

Any suggestions as to where to look would be appreciated.

I have sent for his death certificate, though it may not tell me much more than I already know.

Still haven't found his father John on 1891 census , but he died 1900 in Leicester.

Cheers

Maggie

Default jebbett

An update if there is any interest!!!
    Abraham went to South Afica and lived there before returning to England and then taking off for the States. I now have death certificates for them all, except Mary Maria. Where is she????
    Maggie

janbooth

Default Jebbett

Maggie,

Your JEBBETTs do seem to be somewhat elusive on the census records. Do you have the 1851 census record for John, his mother Maria, brother William and his family (HO107/2090, folio 418, pages 15/6)? If not, let me know and I will post the details for you.

According to Ancestry marriages, John JEBBETT married in the March qtr of 1858 at Leicester registration district, vol 7a, page 235 and one of the other names on the page was that of Sarah Jane LAW which could suggest that Josephine LAW was perhaps illegitimate and that is why she was never with the family???

I have also just found John, Sarah, son Edward living with John's mother Maria on the 1861 census (transcribed as JEBBRETT by Ancestry) on RG9/2298, folio 137, page 25). Again, let me know if you would like full details.

And this looks like Sarah with her parents in the 1851 census of The Newarke, Leicester:

HO107/2090, folio 146, page 11
    Schedule 10, Middle Street

Joseph LAW Head Mar 42 Lock Smith Staffordshire Sedgley
    Elizabeth do Wife Mar 37 do Wolverhampton
    Sarah do Daur U 18 Scotland Glasgow
    Mary do Daur 16 do do
    Joseph do Son 14 Wolverhampton
    Richard do Son 3 Leicestershire Leicester
    Elizabeth do Daur 1 do do

However, I can't find a birth registration for a Josephine LAW on the GRO Index via Ancestry between 1851 and 1858 when John & Sarah were married.

Are you sure that John died in 1900 as I have found what looks like Sarah in the 1891 census in Trinity Hospital, The Newarke, Leicester on RG12/2542, folio 102, page 7 where she states that she is a widow. That might explain why we cannot find John on the 1891 census. Hope this helps a bit.

Janet

Default jebbetts

Hi Janet
    What a lot of searching you've done on my behalf. In fact much of what you have found I knew already, as Joseph & Elizabeth Law are my gr gr grandparents, Richard being my gr grandfather.

Sarah Jane & Mary are the obstacles on this one. Can't find births for them Did try Glasgow but I was told records were being digitalised, so no go at the moment. They may have been baptised catholic too....why is life so difficult! The Law family has its own complications, especially with a Scottish connection, or so I've been led to believe!

I have all the death certificates for the Jebbetts, though not Mary Maria, as I've said.WWhat happened to her I wonder!

I sent for the certificate for John d 1900, and assumed that this is 'my' John. I guess I need to look for a death for a john after 1881.
    He died in the workhouse and his previous address was Rodney St. The age and occupation fit. I'll need to find his cousin, W Jones( wouldn't you know it!!!) who registered the death.
    I had decided ( perhaps unwisely) that since John & Sarah were living apart in 1881 that their marriage was 'over' thus the W status. On 1901 census Sarah is living with William O'Shea , her sister's son and his family...a widow here too. Sarah died in 1927 aged 93!
    I have confused you with Josephine. Sorry. Her name was Josephine Law Jebbett! She never married and died in Leicester 1945 aged 82!

If only i had started these searches years ago.
    I guess we all feel that!!

Josephine was at the death of her mother & brother so it does seem a bit odd that she wasn't there when her father died.
    Another complication is that the Jebbett men all seemed to be bricklayers!

Appreciate your help and info. Love it if you found more!!!
    Thanks Maggie

Default john's death

hi Janet
    Have scoured thro deaths again...only John Jebbett i can find that fits is the death in 1900. Looked in directories and found a John Jebbett foreman bricklayer 20 Hinckley Rd leicester. am off to check for a younger John as my John would have 75 then. Would he still be working do you think?

maggie

Default john jebbett

An update!!
    Managed to find William Jones, the cousin who was informant of the death on the certificate. He was a shoemaker b Ashby de la zouche. I guess I'm not sure if this is 'my' John, but can't find another death between 1881 and 1901 .
    Hope to visit the record centre and library whilst I'm in Leicester to see if that helps. Also not sure if I can find a 'cousin' connection but will give it a go!