Carol K.

Default William Faulkner, taylors

To begin, what a wonderful forum. My family came from Oxford with my ggGrandmother Alice Pricillia Faulkner the only family member to come to America. I have a lot of information on the family (for those who are interested) but I am lacking a few key points. Let me lay out a few branches and I will ask my question.

William Faulkner (1805-1853?) married Susannah Elizabeth Harris (1813-1899) on 12 Jan 1834 and had 8 childred: Annie (b:1842), Caroline, Naomi, Andrew, Henry Robert?, Ruth, Alice Pricilla * and "Thursa"??

William Faulkner had two brothers that we know of - Jesse and John.

Dates of marriage (1834) and first child (Annie, 1842)does not seem possible as there are many years between the dates. Where as the birthdates of Jesse(1836) and John (1834) seem to fall in line with sons instead of brothers.

My question - does anyone have any information about William Faulkner and since my grandmother was the youngest child could it be possible that older siblings left home before her birth? Could there have been another William Faulkner (son)?

Also, the Faulkner's were taylors and seamstresses. Does anyone have details about this?

I have lots of family stories that I would love to share. Thanks for being out there.

janbooth

Default William FAULKNER

Carol,

Your family appear in the 1851 census of Oxford St Mary Magdelene as follows:

HO107/1728, folio 612, page 6
    Schedule 23, 5 Swan Court

William FAULKNER Head Mar 50 Tailor ? ? Oxford Insane
    Susanna do Wife do 37 Oxon Elsfield
    John do Son Unm 17 Tailor Oxford
    Jesse do Son Unm 16 Tailor do
    Thirza do Daur 15? Domestic do
    Robert do Son 11 Scholar do
    Ann do Daur 9 do do
    Caroline do Daur 7 do do
    Naomi do Daur 5 do do
    Andrew do Son 3 do
    Ruth do Daur 1 do

William's name has a line crossed through it, so maybe he was not there that night??? and I cannot read the rest of his occupation after "Tailor" and he is definitely shown as Insane in the disability column. This census does appear to prove that John & Jesse were William & Susanna's sons though.

Hope this helps.

Janet

Carol K.

Default Thanks

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the information. That has helped tie in another branch of the family.