Knowledgeable and helpful

Default VINES, Henry of Norfolk

I am looking for family information etc. about Henry Vines born around 1831/33 allegedly in Norfolk. Henry was in Derby by 1851 so only the 1841 census will help plus the usual parish records etc. All help gratefully received.

Tony

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by tony vines
    I am looking for family information etc. about Henry Vines born around 1831/33 allegedly in Norfolk. Henry was in Derby by 1851 so only the 1841 census will help plus the usual parish records etc. All help gratefully received.
    Tony
    Hello Tony
    Waht was his birthplace on the 1851 census? If it just records Norfolk, did he suvive to later censuses which show a birthplace?

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Hello Geoffers

The copy transcription forwarded to me just gives NK which I took to mean Norfolk; no place given. I have a 51 census and 53 wedding for this Henry, both in Derby. I am trying to link him to the Henry Vines who was my g-grandfather. If he's the same he was actually born either in Northants (wrong transcription or original entry perhaps) or Leicester. The straws I'm clutching to for Derby Henry are the correct first wife's two first names on the wedding cert.(I have my Henry's first wife's death cert.), the correct father's name on the same (I also have his second marriage cert) and the right age (also from the second cert and census reference below).

Unfortunately the Henry I seek was shy of censuses. He does not apppear anywhere in the UK on the 1881 according to the LDS version and so far I've not been able to find him anywhere on the 51, 61 or 71. He lived in Leicester from 1870 to at least 1883 before moving to Desborough where he died. He does however appear on the 91 in D'boro but using the alias of his second wife's maiden name. A man of mystery, my great grandfather!

Thanks for your interest. I've followed your wise tips and comments with interest since joining this forum.

Regards

Tony

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by tony vines
    Hello Geoffers
    The copy transcription forwarded to me just gives NK which I took to mean Norfolk;
    Sorry, but actually NK is usually an abbreviation for 'Not Known' - news which I am sure you don't want.

What was his occupation? - Can we get any clues about him from there?

Could he or his family have left a will which might give a lead?

Have you tried doing a blanket search in the 1881 census for the surname Vines in specific counties such as Northants and Leics? (to use the information you have). This will sometimes pick up clusters of the surname is small areas and so gives you something to work on (no good for Smith, Wright, Jones, etc). Your Henry may have moved on, but other members of his family may have continued living in the same area for centuries.

If you want type up what you have on the chap/print off a report from a programme and send it to me in an e-mail (click on my name and then the obvious link) - I'll see if I can offer any suggestions - I'm not promising owt, but a fresh eye sometimes helps.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire
    Last edited by Geoffers; 09-11-2004 at 9:00 AM. Reason: adding text

Robertabix

Grateful for the full names of the wife to your possibly Henry in Derby. This would greatly help in the search for him. Are there any other facts you could add from your research to date which might give some more clues?

Hi Robertabix and thanks for your interest. I started this thread in 2004 and am pleased to tell you that I subsequently found all the details I needed on Henry Vines. The only thing left is his criminal record!

cheers
    Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke