Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sally

Unhappy Help with addresses in Eynsham

I am hoping to visit Eynsham at the end of September with a husband who has no interest in family history. I have been given one day to do Marsh Gibbon & Quainton in Buckinghamshire plus Eynsham so I am trying to plan what I would like to see at each place as driving round in circles is not the best way to keep my hubby from getting too fed up.

I have poured over the Old Maps site until I am crosseyed but still cannot find Eynsham Kiln or Tilgarsley Brick Kiln (or Brick Kiln Tilgarsley), addresses on the 1841 & 1851 censuses. If anyone has any idea where they were/are then I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Regards
    Sally

Geoffers

Having lived in Eynsham once, the only kilns of which I am aware, once stood off Chilbridge Road, just west of Eynsham.

If coming west from Oxford along the A40, go over the large roundabout on the east side of Eynsham and carry on for half a mile - turn left along Witney Road. You'll pass Tilgarsley Road on your right, presumably named after the chap who owned the kiln. Carry on until you come to a mini-roundabout. Turn right along Chilbridge Lane, sme distance along there (I think about 6-800 yards) the lane turns sharp left, the kilns used to be in the field on the right, on the apex of this bend. Close enough to be convenient for the village far enough away for the smoke not to cause a problem.

Do the census enumerators notes give any clues as to where your kilns stood in Eynsham? If coming to the area, you might try the local history section of Witne library - it has quite a lot of info and is far easier to get to than Oxford. Let me know if I can help at all.

Geoffers

sally

Many Thanks Geoffers, you come my rescue once again. I could not get on the forum last night to see if I had a reply so spent the evening going backwards & forwards on the images to see where each of my addresses were in relationship to other properties. Seems like Eynsham Kiln & Tilgarsley Brick Kiln may have been the same place given different names by the enumerator - seems he walked this way - Freeland (Brick Kiln), then my addresses, North Lodge, Farm House on Estate, Eynsham Hall, South Lodge (where my ggrandad NELSON was born), East Lodge - looks like he went through the estate grounds for the last lot, then past a few farms to Barnard Gate. Looking at all this would I be better looking up towards the North Leigh side of Eynsham do you think?

Some time ago you helped me with South Lodge's position & from Streetmap.co.uk map told me it was under the '0' of 40. I know the Hall is now used for conferences but is South Lodge still there? If so, I can see we go along the A40 but can't actually see if we can come off of the A40 so that we can drive past the lodge & perhaps stop for a look?
    Oh & is the Britannia Inn still there as we might as well stop & have a non alcoholic break if it is?

Regards
    Sally

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sally
    the enumerator - seems he walked this way - Freeland (Brick Kiln)
    There was a kiln off the (A4095) road running from Witney to Woodstock, just east of North lodge is a turn off (Cockoo Lane) that runs down to Eynsham and Barnard's Gate, go down Cuckoo Lane and the kiln was in the field on the left.

then my addresses, North Lodge, Farm House on Estate, Eynsham Hall, South Lodge (where my ggrandad NELSON was born), East Lodge - looks like he went through the estate grounds for the last lot, then past a few farms to Barnard Gate. Looking at all this would I be better looking up towards the North Leigh side of Eynsham do you think?
    All this is certainly on the Nor'Lye (locals still call it that)side of Eynsham; thinking about it, just east of South lodge on the A40 before you get to Eynsham is Kiln Farm - perhaps another contender for your kiln?

continued.......

Geoffers

part 2......

Some time ago you helped me with South Lodge's position & from Streetmap.co.uk map told me it was under the '0' of 40. I know the Hall is now used for conferences but is South Lodge still there?
    Yes it is, from memory, not much of it can be seen from the road

If so, I can see we go along the A40 but can't actually see if we can come off of the A40 so that we can drive past the lodge & perhaps stop for a look?
    Travelling west from Eynsham towards Witney, the road goes up an incline, Kiln Farm (mentioned above) is on your right; shortly after this, there is a turn off. This is the old A40 before the road was straightened. Turn off left there; the road follows a long left hand arc - on your right is The Britannia (I think it's still open) go passed the turn off right to Freeland and South Lodge is a short distance further on. If you don't have my e-mail address, send a private message before come up this way - I'll let you have my phone number, then if you get stuck/lost I may be able to guide you.

Geoffers

sally

Hi Geoffers

Your directions are very clear & I have copied & pasted them into Word & have printed them off as well as saved them to my computer. Yes I do have your email address from sending PRs to go on the transcription site & will email you if my husband thinks we may have traouble after he has read your directions.

Re your mention of Witney Library - I emailed them today about position of addresses & on the off chance that we have any time, I also asked if they had any photographs of employee's around 1845-1853 when my William was gamekeeper. I think my husband will be glad when the day is over & he can relax & look forward to his choice of where we go the next day which is Bath.
    What bliss it must be to have a partner who also enjoys researching their ancestors.

Thanks for all your help.
    Regards
    Sally

Geoffers

Re your mention of Witney Library - I emailed them today about position of addresses & on the off chance that we have any time, I also asked if they had any photographs of employee's around 1845-1853 when my William was gamekeeper.
    They don't have a photo collection as such, but do have a collection of small booklets on local history, covering a wide variety of subjects.

Looking further into Tilgarsley, it apparently used to be a settlement/village which died out. The precise lcoation seems unclear, but from what I've read it may well have been somewhere around Barnards Gate, the collection of hosuing there may possibily shadow the site of the settlement - in which case, Kiln Farm could well be what was Tilgarsley Kiln - but I may be reading too much into this, however, it might give you somewhere to start.

Geoffers

lindylou270

Smile help with findining ancestors fromeynsham

my great grandfather came from eynsham i like to find out more his name is edward jeffrey (known as william 0 and was born around 1842 and married a lady called maria widdow i also interested in finding out if his ancestor came fronm there names are both edward jeffrey all i have is there wifes first names they were martha and sarah

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou270
    my great grandfather came from eynsham i like to find out more his name is edward jeffrey (known as william 0 and was born around 1842 and married a lady called maria widdow
    Edward JEFFREY's marriage certificate should give his father's name and occupation. You have a rough year when Edward was born. I suggest you look at the 1851 census to see if you can locate them. The 1851 census should show a birthplace. With a name and birthplace for the father, you can then turn to the parish registers to try and locate a baptism.

I see that the 1861 census RG9/904 f8 p10 shows Edward in Acre End Street, Eymsham with his widowed mum and elder bother. The sons are shown born Eynsham, the mother in Northmoor.

Geoffers

christopher_n_lewis

Unhappy Photos of Witney (and elsewhere)

Re your mention of Witney Library - I emailed them today about position of addresses & on the off chance that we have any time, I also asked if they had any photographs of employee's around 1845-1853 when my William was gamekeeper.
    For pictures from Oxfordshire try
    https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/wps/po...nline/heritage
    which will search the Oxfordshire Photographic Archive (and other useful sources)

What bliss it must be to have a partner who also enjoys researching their ancestors.
    But their ancestors always come from a different part of the country
    HTH
    Christopher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast