A fountain of knowledge.

Default Chilvers/Smith/Mountain

Ok drawn a complete blank here. (I know I should just order the birth certificate but thats too easy)

Looking for Dinah Ann Chilvers, daughter of a Chilvers and a Mountain, birth reg 1852 in Boston area.

She married Elijah Smith in 1868 at Boston (st Botolphs) and had a son Elijah Chilvers Smith in 1888 who was my late aunties father.

The birth reference is the only one I have found for her, I cant find her on any census returns at all.

Has anyone come across her?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Ann,
    I've been transcribing the basic details of Stump marriages for 1851-1870 as part of the ongoing project and on her marriage certificate Dinah gives her father's name as John.
    However, the marriage of a Chilvers and a Mountain on 27th July 1851 is between Robert Chilvers and Sarah Ann Mountain. His father Samuel, hers is Robert. Marriage entry number 268.
    No Robert or Sarah Chilvers on the 1861 census.
    Searched for Dinah, born Boston, 1852, +/- 1 year. Dinah Ann Rason, parents John and Sarah Ann. RG9/2338 folio 23 page 10.
    FreeBMD marriage March quarter 1859 (not at the Stump) Sarah Ann Chilvers with a John Rason as one of the two grooms on the same page. No death for Robert Chilvers in Boston reg district 1851-1860 currently showing on FreeBMD.
    For a small fee Lincoln Archives can supply you with a copy of the marriage of Robert and Sarah Ann. (I presume you already have Dinah and Elijah's.)
    No joy on 1871 so far.
    Pam

A fountain of knowledge.

Default Thanks

thanks for your help Pam, makes interesting reading.

I didnt buy any certificates for them cos they arent my direct line, My aunt married into my family. She died earlier this year, but before she died she told me some of her family history.
    She also claimed to be related to Arthur Towell (who changed his name to Lucan) and became known as "Old Mother Riley". She said he was a cousin of her mothers, but I have found that to be unlikely with the information I have on Elizabeth Towell and Arthur Towell. They appear to belong to different Towell families. (Spelling varies). I have managed to trace both the Towell lines back over the census years, and found no obvious link. It was she who said that the Dinah Ann Chilvers mother was a Mountain, and its quite possible that thats inaccurate as well. I guess its just one of those things. It certainly looks like the Rason link is worth following up.

A fountain of knowledge.

Default a massive thanks Pam

Ive just cracked the mystery. I must offer you a huge thank you, because I dont think I would ever have worked it out without your help.

Sarah Ann Mountain b.1830 Wainfleet is on the 1851 census, as niece to Henry Mountain circa 1810 Boston. Robert Mountain is in Boston with wife Dinah. Another of their children was also born at Wainfleet the year before Sarah.

Sarah Married Robert Chilvers 1851 Boston, he was on the 1851 census, a lodger at Boston, who was born at Ipswich, Sfk, circa 1823.

Whether he deserted Sarah or died, I dont know, I did find a record of a Robert Chilvers dying in the Ipswich area in 1873, so my money is on them splitting up for whatever reason.

In the meantime, John Rason b.circa 1816 Boston, married Elizabeth Kitwood in 1843. She died in 1857.

The widowed John Rason then married the divorced or widowed Sarah Ann Chilvers nee Mountain at Boston in 1859.

Dinah Ann Chilvers birth was registed as such in 1852 because at that time Sarah hadnt married John Rason. But she later became known as Dinah Ann Rason, and married Elijah Smith.

In her own way, Auntie was right all along.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann65
    Ive just cracked the mystery.
    And because John Rason was probably the person Dinah regarded as her father, when asked for the name of her father when she married said 'John', not bothering to qualify any surname differences

On the subject of Old Mother Riley, Arthur Towle's parents were Tom and Lucy. 1891 and 1901 census info available
    Pam

Sandra Parker

Talking

I also have Chilvers family and found the Chilvers One name Study site and absolute boon. Richard is so helpful and has masses of Chilvers info from all over the place.
    Sandra

A fountain of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    And because John Rason was probably the person Dinah regarded as her father, when asked for the name of her father when she married said 'John', not bothering to qualify any surname differences

On the subject of Old Mother Riley, Arthur Towle's parents were Tom and Lucy. 1891 and 1901 census info available
    Pam
    It seems almost certain that John Rason was the only father she ever knew.
    The story gets even more amazing when you go and find out who Robert Mountain married. His second wife was Dinah Carr and they married in 1844. But his first wife was Ann Epton and they married in 1822. (she died in 1843). Well Eptons my biggest line of research, and I know exactly who Ann was, she belongs to a family that lived in Wainfleet, and was the daughter of Thomas and Sarah (nee Lamiman) - and her brother William married Elizabeth Whiley. My fathers mothers side of the family include none other than the Whileys!.

As for the Towell family - I followed Arthur Towells family back through the census years, and I followed Aunties totally seperate family back too, and found no link. Given that Auntie was bang on with the Chilvers Mountain story though, Im gonna keep looking for clues!

A fountain of knowledge.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Parker
    I also have Chilvers family and found the Chilvers One name Study site and absolute boon. Richard is so helpful and has masses of Chilvers info from all over the place.

Sandra
    Thanks Sandra, thats a great help, A cursory glance over at Ancestry didnt herald many clues on Robert Chilvers son of Samuel when I had a hunt for him. Perhaps I can find the answers there.

Hi ann. This is my dad's great grandmother, I have a newspaper article about her and elijah if you are interested in seeing it?