A fountain of knowledge

Default Finding military records from before WW1

I'm currently researching my mother-in-law's family tree.

On the 1891 census, William Bates is showing as being a sergeant in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (even though he was from Ely in Cambs!). I can't find any record of him on the 1901 census so wonder if he was killed in action some time between 1891 and 1901 (although I presume if he was away at the time of the census he wouldn't be recorded(?)).

I am trying to find out what might have happened to him. I have searched the CWGC site to see if he was killed in WW1 but haven't found him, and he would have been too old to have served in WW2 (he was born in 1865).

I mentioned to my husband last night that I had found that he was in the army and he said that there was some talk of someone in the family having won the Victoria Cross (although I can't find any evidence to back that up, although its possible it was another medal, or it was someone completely different of course!).

So any pointers on where I might find info on what might have happened to him and/or search for medal 'winners' would be appreciated

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Both Argyll and Sutherland Battalions out the the U.K. in 1901

1st Battalion in South Africa from 1899 with 3 Brigade, returned England in 1903.

2nd Battalion went to India in 1891, then South Africa 1907 returning to Scotland 1910.

Keith

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks for that.

I think he was in the 2nd Batallion (the census record says what looks like "2 / Argyll & Suth.....") so looks like he was in India then!

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

You could try The National Archives for his service record, Geoffers should be able to give you some good advice regarding how to search.

Keith