djdiv

Exclamation Lockport New York?

Ellis Island has a passenger record of an Edward Diver who emigrated from the port of Londonderry in Northern Ireland in 1902 to New York. He was 23 yrs of age. The destination I was unsure of since I didn’t know any places in the U.S plus the writing was kind of tricky to make out but I was told it was Lockport in New York.
    Now that means nothing to me geographically....all the way over here in Ireland . I have tried in vain to find out where Edward finally ended up? If he married and so on.....Unfortunately my feeble attempts on internet searches have come up blank. So if someone has an Edward Diver in their family or knows of anyone who has I look forward to hearing from you.
    May I add that he was off to a sister-in-law which I think in my effort of deciphering the ships (S.S Columbia) manifesto...that she was a something ------ Devine?

bwarnerok

Smile A little help for you

Edward James Driver who registered for the WWI Draft living at 306 Franklin in Buffalo, NY in Sept, 1918. DOB Aug 17, 1881, born in Ireland. This lists next of kin as Mary Devina (as good as I can tell) who lives in Lockport, NY (her street address 149 -- either green or greer Street - difficult to read). Medium height, blue eyes. Occupation listed as Fireman - lists the company but can't make that out but I don't think it was a City Fireman -- perhaps with the railroad or refinery.

THis is listed in the WWI Draft records on Ancestry for the US.

Lockport is in New York.. Niagra County.

Can't seem to find him on the 1910 or 1920 census but could be due to a typo. I'll look again

In 1910, in Lockport NY... lived the following: (District 78, Lockport, Niagra, NY)
    285 Chapel Street
    Charles Divine (In 1920 it was trancribed more like Druins) 37 yrs old (Aug 74), born ireland, immigrated in 1887,
    married for 22 yrs to
    Mary, 35 yrs old (Nov 71), born ireland, immigrated 1887
    4 children, all living, all born in new york (The 1900 census says there were 6 children born but only 4 living)
    James, 21(May 88)
    John C. 18 (dec 91) (in 1900 says he was born in Canada)
    Frank 16 (Francis E. Dec 93)
    Margaret 14 (Dec 95)

Also in Lockport, Districk 84, Ward 4
    46 Bristol Ave
    John Devine, 64, widowed, born Ireland
    and 2 daughers
    Mary F, 32, born NY
    Ida, 27, born NY

I couldn't find anybody in 1930.

My guess is that Mary Devine is Edward's sister and Charles is the brother in law. Not sure why the street addresses don't match up. The other Devine (John and daughters) is probably related in some way - an uncle of Charles perhaps?

It appears that Charles & Mary had lived in Canada briefly or at least hopped across the water to have one child. It's very possible that they went back to Canada or that Edward Diver went to Canada (to avoid the war perhaps?). You might look in Canada (Toronto) as it's VERY convenient to both Buffalo and Lockport.

From what I understand, there are LOTS of records, microfilm, etc in Buffalo and NY State, but I've had little to no luck so far trying to find somebody to go spend time in the library for me. (trying to find relatives who died and were buried in Buffalo abt 1900).

Hope that helps some.
    Betsy
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 7:08 PM.

Ancestralbone

All I can make out on the first name off the Ellis Island record was -arell Devine Ithink. It states Sister in Law. I wish I could help more.

djdiv

Betsy that does more than help it is full of information that may keep me busy making the link to Edward that I am seeking. I think I may track down the Devines because it was to them that he went to. Maybe that may throw light on this search. Once again I thank you for taking the time. Edward may surely have married over there and may also have family living yet to this day who may not be aware of the irish connection. I think I will prod around more as you say in Canada etc. I certainly think that something will come from this.

djdiv

Yes I know how you must have felt ancestral. My first look at the manifesto and the hand writing was frustrating to say the least. Pity typed up manifestos was not the norm. But hey dosen't it make it more exciting when you go hunting down those elusive ancestors. thanks for the interest.

Ancestralbone

It was too bad I could not print it all out all I got was Edwards name and age out of it. But looking for the Devine's sound like a good place to start especially if he lived with them for a while. Good luck.