alan.jones

Default 1871 census lookup please - St Clement Danes

Could someone please check the 1871 census for St Clement Danes. I am looking for detalis of the JONES family members living in Newcastle(?) Court. They were there in 1861, but I suspect the family split up shortly after. Head of household in 1861 was Christopher JONES, a fishmonger. There was also a John, Louisa and a younger son Christopher. In addition, confirmation of the street name would be apreciated. I think the street disappeared around 1866 to make way for the new Law Courts.
    Thanks
    Alan
    N.Z.
    Last edited by alan.jones; 05-09-2006 at 10:34 PM.

sally

Hi Alan

No sign of Christopher senior, John or Louisa but could this be the younger Christopher?

1871 census RG10/364 folio 67 pg 31
    6 Feathers Court, St.Mary Le Strand, London (lots of families sharing no.6)
    Christopher JONES, Head, Mar, 38, Cabman, born St.Giles
    Hannah JONES, Wife, Mar, 25, (looks like Chairwoman but probably Charwoman) born St.Clement Danes

Regards
    Sally

alan.jones

Default 1871 census lookup please - St Clement Danes

Thanks very much Sally. They are my family.
    If I wanted to have the 1881 census checked for this family in the same area, could I use the 1881 census available on the LDS family.search.org site to do my own check, or do I need to ask someone to do a lookup. Are they the same name databases please? (I have been unable to find Christopher and Hannah in London on the LDS 1881 census site, and as a new member am unsure whether they both contain the same information.) Can you please tell me.
    Alan

sally

Hi Alan

Went to send a reply & the server said it was busy & I lost it so am trying again.
    Not sure but I think all 1881 indexes may originate from the LDS.
    Only found 1 Christopher born London the right age (the index disagrees with me & says he was 40 yrs old) with a wife Anna which Hannah may have been known as - see what you think.

1881 RG11/339 folio 69 pg 48 St.George Martyr, London (no address given but there might be one on the LDS site)

JONES
    Christopher,Head,Mar,48,Ostler (Huntsman),London
    Anna,Wife,Mar,36,London
    Emma,Dau,Unm,3,London
    Emma WHITE,Sister,Unm,37,London

Regards
    Sally

alan.jones

Default Re: 1871/1881 census

Mmmm.... Thanks Sally for the lookup, I will ponder that one for a while - it could be them. I see he was a Huntsman - interest could have developed from his fishmonger father possibly. I'll look further now on the LDS site.
    Alan

sally

Hi Alan

I think I may have further info on Christopher & family but need to verify a few things. If you click on my name in top left corner & then on 'View Public Profile' you will see my email address.
    I am busy typing up transcriptions at the moment & don't always have time to check the forum daily so perhaps you could email me direct.

Regards
    Sally