Thread: Waterloo?

PenelopeCarter

Default Waterloo?

GEORGE BOSWELL Born BIDFORD, Warwickshire, Served in the 81st Foot Regiment, Discharged aged 31 (1811-1822). One of the divisions of the 81st fought at Waterloo.
    I have just got George's discharge papers and would like to find out more about him, where exactly he served, and how he sustained his injuries, but not sure how to proceed. It says he served in Spain, France and America (I am not sure what country Waterloo was in prior to the formation of Belgium).

Any help as to where to go from here would be much appreciated.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

If you try

https://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/081-793.htm

It will give you deployment of 1st and 2nd Battalions, it looks like it was the 2nd battalion at Waterloo the 1st being in North Americia.

Keith

PenelopeCarter

Many thanks! I will check this out.

PenelopeCarter

Many thanks for your reply. Will I be able to find more individual info re him? I know he married someone called Sarah from Chipping Camden, but no date or surname, or place where they married. Is there likely to be more military documentation where I would find this, the discharge paper was very brief and didn't give me any details.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by PenelopeCarter
    I know he married someone called Sarah from Chipping Camden, but no date or surname, or place where they married.
    You may find births of children in the Regimental Registers of Births 1761-1924, or the Army Chaplains' Returns of Births 1796-1880.

Similarly there are the Army Chaplains' returns of marriages for the same period. The indices to these can all be searched via a pay-per-view site 1837online if you find an entries of use, you may apply for certificates via the GRO

Alternatively, hs marriage my be recorded in the Regimental Registers of marriages - however an index to these is not available. If you know the regiment and period of service, you should be able to arrange for the FRC to search this.

Geoffers
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2007 at 6:32 PM.

PenelopeCarter

Many thanks for this. I think he married in 1826, after he left the army. I've checked Bidford on Avon and Chipping Cambden for baptisms and marriage without success.