Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mattjarvis8

Question Nottingham County Gaol

The 1841 census shows my ancestor Gervas Shelton in the Nottingham County Gaol. Does anybody know of a way of finding out what he had done to get in there?

Thanks,

Matt

kmdward

Default Nottingham Gaol

Stuart Tamblin does indexes of Criminal Registers and sells them for a very reasonable price. He has done some for Notts so might be worth a try. Web Family History Indexes.

badger64

Default gervas

Quote Originally Posted by mattjarvis8
    The 1841 census shows my ancestor Gervas Shelton in the Nottingham County Gaol. Does anybody know of a way of finding out what he had done to get in there?

Thanks,

Matt
    Gervas was m y GGG Grandfather and at he Nottm Quarter Sessions 19th October 1840 he was what we would now I think call bound over in the sum of £20 tokeep the peace after making threats to farmer Francis Pogson of Gedling.
    At the Nottm Quarter Sessions 4th Jan 1841 he was found guilty of threatening bodily harm to the same person and was sentenced to serve 12 months in the Nttingham County Gaol.
    Later at the Notingham Quarter sessions 17th October 1842 he received 1 months jail with hard labour for stealing 2 quarts ofmilk value 4 pence the property of Robin Martin.
    If you are in the Nottm area the Gaol can be visited as it is part of the Galleries of Justice Museum in the lace market area and well worth a visit.
    How are you related to Gervas.?
    John

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by badger64
    If you are in the Nottm area the Gaol can be visited as it is part of the Galleries of Justice Museum in the lace market area and well worth a visit.
    How are you related to Gervas.?
    John
    So it wasn't the same prison as now then? The prison I remember (not as a prisoner before you all start!) was on Perry Road in Sherwood.
    Where abouts in the Lace Market was the old one? I know the area vaguely - I worked just on Castle Boulevard for a couple of years and walked to work that way.

Mark

Rod Neep

The prison was in High Pavement.

The building is still there. Interestingly there is a covered up spelling error in the huge letters carved into the stone on the front of the building.

The word "GAOL" was spelled as "GOAL", the letters filled in and re-carved correctly. But you can still see it.

Rod

badger64

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ
    So it wasn't the same prison as now then? The prison I remember (not as a prisoner before you all start!) was on Perry Road in Sherwood.
    Where abouts in the Lace Market was the old one? I know the area vaguely - I worked just on Castle Boulevard for a couple of years and walked to work that way.

Mark
    You may know the building as the Shire Hall in the Lace Market and it is against St Marys Church.As well as the old courtrooms there are the
    original 19th century prison,a transportation pit,condemned cells etc all
    original.Look it up on the net
    John

uksearch

Would that be listed as an OG against the mason?

Rod Neep

Nottingham County Gaol. High Pavement.

Note the lettering on the word "GAOL" changed from "GOAL"

MarkJ

I see what you mean Rod! I bet someone got in serious bother for that!
    Next time I get up to the city, I shall be checking that out.

Mark

star*65

There was also the Nottingham House of Correction, in which my g-g-grandfather spent some time around 1850. That was where King Edward Court is now, next to The Palais.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast