Thread: Judge relations

pickber

Question Judge relations

I have been trying for a long time to find out who my great grandfather's parents were. He was metioned in the 1901 census as Charles Judge, age 46, a farrier, born in Reading.

BMD records only show 2X Charles Judge - born 1855 but both in Henley.

1901 census also records his son, Charley, aged 4, my grandfather.
    My grandfathers birth certificate gives parents as Charles Judge and Alice Judge (formerly Lucy).

I can't find a marriage record to support this.

1881 census shows a Charles Judge from Swyncombe, a farrier, of the same age, but married to someone else.

Does anyone know where I can look to find more information on my great grandfather - ie parents, siblings, and other sons/daughters.

Pennie

Default JUDGE Relations

Looking at the 1901 census entry, Charles is a widower and his son Charley is a "visitor", born in Kensington ... so Alice would seem to have died between c1897 (when Charley was born) and 1901. Have you checked for a marriage during this period, ie. after Charley was born?

Also, do you have Charles on the 1891 census?

Pennie

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by pickber
    I have been trying for a long time to find out who my great grandfather's parents were. He was metioned in the 1901 census as Charles Judge, age 46, a farrier, born in Reading.
    BMD records only show 2X Charles Judge - born 1855 but both in Henley.
    Could he have been illegit and recorded under another name? In the earlier years of the GRO, not all births were registered, it may be that his birth was not picked up by the Registrar.

Have you found Charles Judge in earlier census returns? Does he have any other children in them? When was the first born - this may give a hint as to when to look for a marriage. Where was the wife born, this may hint at where to look for a marriage, as may the birthplaces of other children.

Did either Charles have additional forenames? Should you, for example, be looking for Thomas Charles Judge?

Geoffers

pickber

Thumbs up Thanks

Sorry I hadn't picked up my messages and then suddenly three!! So I will attempt to answer you all.

Pennie - yes I have a death cert for Alice Judge 1899. Have checked Marriages between 1881 and 1899 in Free BMD to no avail. I know it is possible that they never did get married, just used the name. Another turn up is that I found a marriage entry for Charles Judge and Emma Wood - Dec qr 1901 ( the widower with whom Charley and Charles were staying in 1901 census). I have also found a birth entry for an Alice Luc(e)y which matches her expected birth year ( from death cert) and registered in Henley.

Many thanks for your help.

Geoffers - since my posting I have been able to trace Charles Judge from 1861 to 1901 census, also his parents and siblings from 1841 onwards, and his grandparents from IGI LDS 1799

So thanks for your suggestions.

Casacucus - yes it is possible that Alfred is in my family as Charles Judge ggrandfather had a brother and an uncle named Alfred.

Thanks