Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AW014R2799

Angry hunt

Deirdre,
    Have you tried Ellis Island ? I had a quick look , found one George M. Hunt , sailed 1892 on the America but he was 52yrs , born 1840 ? I will have another look elsewhere.
    I have had no luck with my relations but they went 1905, got them up to 1930 , I have placed ads all over no responce .
    Val.

AW014R2799

Angry george hunt

Hi Deirdre,
    First I went for George, no luck. Then I found Annie Bradford , they
    were married in Hendon , Middlesex just outside London , Sept. 1864.
    Marriage record 10a 773 , if you send for this you will get their father's names.
    Then to Oregon, the only records I have found are on Ancestry, the charge is $347-40 per year , you can have a free trial for two weeks.
    Did you give me his 2nd wife's name ?
    Will keep looking,
    Val.
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 6:28 PM.

Ancestralbone

Quote Originally Posted by AW014R2799
    Hi Deirdre,
    First I went for George, no luck. Then I found Annie Bradford , they
    were married in Hendon , Middlesex just outside London , Sept. 1864.
    Marriage record 10a 773 , if you send for this you will get their father's names.
    Then to Oregon, the only records I have found are on Ancestry, the charge is $347-40 per year , you can have a free trial for two weeks.
    Did you give me his 2nd wife's name ?
    Will keep looking,
    Val.
    Where on Ancestry did you find him on? I can get access through our local churh here for free and I am willing to go look up anyone.
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 6:28 PM.

bwarnerok

Default Looking in the US

Perhaps I can give you a bit of help in searching in the US.

The census records are great help but you have to keep in mind that the transcribers couldn't always spell names correctly. THe problem with the Ancestry databases is that you can't always find who you want due to these typos. I have spent hours and hours pouring through towns on old census to find my ancestors and they are there, but it's tedious going page to page. Many times, it is helpful to search specifically within the census using first names, place of birth and approximate age.

1890 is virutally instinct however some parts survived but for the most part 1880-1900 can be a black hole! Some states however did do state census (such as Kansas) on the "off" years.. such as 1885, 1895 and these are very helpful.

Roots Web is a very good source. Nearly all counties in all states in the US have a page. Some have more information than others uploaded but it has been the best FREE source I've ever come across.

The LDS files are good for a free 1881 census but otherwise, the information just isn't that reliable for the US. Most is through word-of-mouth as the bmds are done by town or county or state and not nationwide as in the UK.

The social security index is good but didn't come into effect until about 60 yrs ago but it can at least lead you to a location for a death certificate and in the past 100 years, a death certificate in the US can be a very good tool.

Many counties now have property records accessible online. Search for a County Recorder. I have located descendants who are alive today through these online property records. If there was a property transfer due to a will, this is typically noted in the property records.

The cemetery projects also seem to be increasing with each year with groups of kind genealogists logging in the information. Alot of older cemeteries were done in the 1930's through the WPA program.

Ellis Island records are really limited and only cover a small number of years. however, many counties do have records of Immigration and Nationalization and some of the census will state the year of immigration. There are other sites online such as the ships transcribers guild that are putting info online but to be honest, I've yet to find any of my people on one of those. And remember... those folks meeting the boats and noting down immigration data... wrote as they heard names, not as how they might have been spelled. It was also a time when many decided to change their names. Variant spellings and creative thinking will come in handy!

ROAGK (random acts of genealogical kindness) is a great source if you know which county or area you are looking. I d least lead you to a location for a death certificate and in the past 100 years, a death certificate in the US can be a very good tool.

Many counties now have property records accessible online. Search for a County Recorder. I have located descendants who are alive today through these online property records. If there was a property transfer due to a will, this is typically noted in the property records.

It is not uncommon to find "Vanity Biographies" in much of the US. Typically they are compilations where a family pays to print their familie's history in that town. The local library or historical society should have copies of these. You have to be careful with these though, as often times the stories passed down on how so and so came to be here can be overblown rubbish. Pride sometimes took precedence over truth. But it can help point you to where you can find better information.

We have many cases of early records lost due to "The Courthouse Burned Down". It's very frustrating but typically after 1900, most places had acquired fireproof filing cabinets which has helped.

If your man was here by WWI, he most likely registered for the Draft and these are searchable with ancestry. This is a great source as it will give a vague description of the person (small, medium, large), any defects (missing a finger), address, and next of kin (wife or parents usually) and is very useful as a "placingo this for a county in Oklahoma and am more than willing to pour through everything my library has to offer which is not accessible online including obituaries, funeral & cemetery records, newspapers, etc. In addition, the genealogy section of the local libraries are usually staffed by volunteers who are quite knowledge on families in the area.

If I can help any of you in any way let me know. I know I get lost trying to follow my ancestors through the UK and would be lost without the help and advice I've received through forums and think the very least I can do is try and assist others as I can.

Betsy
    Last edited by Guest; 22-08-2007 at 5:33 AM.

Ancestralbone

I will print this out and go down to the Church I can look it up on Ancestry. I can make copies on a disk and print them off at home to mail to you or I can email them if you like. I love digging up bones.

Ancestralbone

I found a Geo hunt age 59 wife Nellie hunt age 46
    Grace Hunt age 19
    Bertha hunt age 14

Living in Oregon, Multhomah, Portland ward 5 in the 1900 census record although it is not a very good readable copy.

Ancestralbone

According to what I can make out Nellie was born here in the U.S. but I am trying to get onto another site which might be a clearer image. It is extremely light copy and I may be able to try to play with it some. I will let you know because it should say how long they were married for.

bwarnerok

Default Multnomah, Oregon

There are some indexes searchable online at the Oregon State Archives. The family is listed as living in Multnomah in the 1895 STATE census.

Multnomah is not far from Vancouver, Clark County, Washington (there was a fort there) so it's a good place to search as well as it was the largest city close by. I had people move out there in the 1850's. Some descendants ended up in California (typically San Francisco area), some went to Portland (Portland County) Oregon.

Betsy

Ancestralbone

There is a chance the record is wrong because of his immagration date is listed on the census. I think is says 1882 or 1892 maybe it is truly hard to tell at this time and I find many mistakes on census records here. According what I can make out these two were married in 1875 but if he came to America in 1882 or 1892 she could have been born in England also. The Census taker could have gotten it wrong and her two girls are born in England. I have Grace born in Dec and Berth Feb I think. I would try to see if I can have someone get ahold of a better copy for me to look at. It may be them or not but knowing a hundred percent what the record says would help you.

Sheridanfine

Default Image information

Hi

I hope you do not mind if I join in.

I am new to this forum and this is the first time that I have posted here.

Your thread is very interesting and I looked at the census image which is absolutely dreadful, so I downloaded it and adjusted the brightness which made it a little clearer. So this is the information that I have been able to extract.

Living at 454, Clay St., Multnomah, Oregan (23rd Precinct, City of Portland)

Head of household, Geo Hunt, born Aug 1841, 59 years old, Married for 25 years, born England, both parents born England, Immigration year 1892, Naturalized, Occupation Mining? Engineer, Home rented, House

Wife, Nellie, born Aug 1853, 46 years old, Married for 25 years, Mother of 3 children, 3 children living, born Ohio, father born Massachusetts, mother born Maine.

Daughter, Grace, born Dec 1880, 19 years old, Single, born England, father born England, mother born Ohio, (cannot read immigration year)

Daughter, Bertha, born Feb (cannot read year or her age), born England, father born England, mother born Ohio, (cannot read immigration year), at school

There are three boarders in the household

I thought it was very interesting that it shows that Nellie has had three children and that three are living.

Hope this is helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast